PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning DVD Reviews?

Mike Ramsey
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
One of my jobs as a member of our club is to recommend & purchase
Woodturning videos, someone asked me about Jimmy Clewes "Turn It On"
3 DVD set & I was wondering if someone here has viewed these & would
comment on them.....

Bob Hamilton
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I have that set. He turns some interesting pieces and demonstrates some interesting techniques, not all of them turning specific. Examples of non-turning specific techniques would be applying gold leaf to the interior of a small bowl and brass/epoxy inlay to a bowl rim. I would say that the set is aimed more at intermediate/advanced turners than beginners because he really doesn't go back to basics the way Bill Grumbine's first DVD does. I believe he covers the basics in his earlier DVD's which I have not seen.

Take care
Bob

Kurt Loup
01-09-2007, 5:25 PM
Smartflix.com has a number of turning dvds if you are interested in renting them to review prior to purchasing.

Kurt

Gordon Seto
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
This 3-DVD set has the top notch production of all the woodturning videos. They have the best camera angle. Our turning Club has a good selection of videos & DVDs. I have seen the majority of turning videos available in the market.

I think there are 3 catagories:
1) Enertainment: Show off their skill, the video is an informercial to their classes and gadets. Does not want you to learn just by the video alone.
2) Intend to be educational. Nothing hold back.
3) Low budget amateur production. You can hardly see the detail or the mono tone voice put you to sleep.

I would list Jimmy Clewes' and Bill Grumbine's DVDs in the 2nd catagory.

Gordon

Bruce Smith
01-10-2007, 7:48 AM
I think Jimmy Clewes 3 volume set is tops, well done with lots of usefull information. I especially like the fact there are alot of close up shots of the proper chisel use and control. You know it is one thing to be a great turner and another to be a good instructor, Jimmy has both talents, but unfortunately many turning instructors only have one talent. Take for instance Raffan, a world class turner but certainly not an instructor.

Mike Ramsey
01-10-2007, 8:50 AM
Thanks for the input folks, don't want to waste the clubs money
(small budjet...if any) and this helps to make our decision.

Chuck Beland
01-10-2007, 8:42 PM
I've heard of these DVD's can someone give me a link to them I can't find them at CSUSA or others.

Thanks

Chuck

Never mind I found it after I got my head out of my tush.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2007, 8:59 PM
Chuck.....here's one link http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=bk-vid-auth-clewes

Pete Jordan
01-10-2007, 9:48 PM
Ken,
Packard has the Turn it On video but I am also looking for the Turn it Up DVDs.
The only place I have seen it is from his website in UK

Stephen Mushinski
01-12-2007, 5:05 PM
I too look after our club's video's. Just before Christmas our local turning dealer had the newest Jimmy Clewes DVD so I bought them for the Club.

I reviewed them all during the holiday's. Top notch to say the least. I think, just about anyone who knows how to sharpen their tools could make any of the pieces in the demo's, after watching them.

I will second that the first Bill Grumbine video is IMHO the best beginners video one can buy. It maybe should come with all new lathes. :)

Anyone in the Toronto Area during meeting night drop in to one of our meetings.

www.wgo.ca (http://www.wgo.ca)