PDA

View Full Version : soap finish maintence manual

Mark Singer
01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
When I recieved my Wegner chairs , there were many questions about the soap finish and its maintence....here is a PDF that I got from Hose of Copenhagen on care for the finish
If you scroll down the is a category for soap finish

http://www.houseofcopenhagen.com/documents/Maintenance_Manual.pdf

Steve Schoene
01-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Seems pretty much like an artist's finish, with minimal practically. It also shows that the "quest for durability" that draws people to things like poly or conversion varnish at the sacrifice of how a piece of furniture looks and feels may not be such a wonderful thing.

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
It also shows that the "quest for durability" that draws people to things like poly or conversion varnish at the sacrifice of how a piece of furniture looks and feels may not be such a wonderful thing.

I agree totally. Finishes like this, or the simple BLO and wax that Thos Moser uses are beautiful and apparently meet the real-world needs of the folks that buy the furniture!

Mark Singer
01-08-2007, 4:05 PM
I agree totally. Finishes like this, or the simple BLO and wax that Thos Moser uses are beautiful and apparently meet the real-world needs of the folks that buy the furniture!

Surprisingly it seems to hold up quite well so far. We have been using them and they look the same...I am quite happy thus far

Dan Larson
01-08-2007, 8:55 PM
Thanks for posting this info Mark. I'm intrigued with this finish. I guess in a way, it's essentially a waterborne wax finish. I'd guess that it only looks good on closed grain light colored woods. Sometime when I have some spare time, I think I'll experiment with the technique on some scraps...

Dan