PDA

View Full Version : mixing pine and walnut

Mike Steinhilper
01-08-2007, 9:52 AM
Would there be a problem using walnut as a drawer face and building the rest out of pine? Plan to use box joints.

Guy Germaine
01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
There shouldn't be a problem with it, other than tearout. I don't like pine because it tears out pretty easily, and it gums up the blades. Poplar is a good choice for drawers. It's relatively cheap, and a lot harder than pine. It will machine a lot better, and wear a lot better too. IMHO

Mike Steinhilper
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Good thought on the poplar, i've used that in the past. I just happen to have a bunch of pine laying around right now. Guess I'll just give it a shot.

glenn bradley
01-08-2007, 1:32 PM
I'm with Guy but have used pine. I got by as it was a shop cabinet set of drawers but, I left it 3/4" thick for strength (my 1/2" prototype was too weak) and have had some movement issues although not enought to make the drawers stick. I don't think I would use it for house-furniture.

Ken Werner
01-08-2007, 1:51 PM
Don't know about walnut, but I've made charry faced drawers with pine sides, and they've held up well for years. The color contrast is also nice.

an example:
www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49138

Mike Steinhilper
01-08-2007, 2:07 PM
ken, nice tables. the cherry does make for a nice contrast. I'm glad to hear you used pine with success.

Kent Fitzgerald
01-08-2007, 2:17 PM
One thing to watch out for: when you sand the piece, the lighter colored wood dust can get into the open grain of the walnut, creating a cloudy appearance. I discovered this on some pieces I made with mahogany and maple. A good blast of compressed air will clean it up, or you can pretreat the darker wood with sanding sealer (i.e., shellac).