PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed table for a TS???

Bill VanderLaan
01-08-2007, 9:28 AM
Saw Jim Becker's ad for his Jet TS that is for sale and really like the "TS Station" concept. Accordingly, I want to build something similar for my Grizzly 1023 (Incra fence). Any insight or ideas from you guys that have built something similar?

Thanks in advance for the time and effort.

Best-

BVL

Hoa Dinh
01-08-2007, 9:48 AM
Bill,

This topic comes up quite often on any WW forum. Do a search and you'll find more than you can digest.

The most tricky part of your project, IMHO, is how to anchor the outfeed table to the back of the saw to accomodate the Incra back rail.

Mine is here (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762322157257).

Gary McKown
01-08-2007, 10:06 AM
If you have the Shopfox mobile base (or similar), it is easy to attach a modest-depth table to the back caster supports, eliminating the need for rear legs and improving mobility. Mine is oak-banded melamine, 18" deep, miter slots all the way through, length same as rear rail (Shopfox, not Incra). The original idea was to also attach a hinged extension (with legs, of course), but so far a roller stand for the occasional long rip has worked well.

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 11:05 AM
If you look at my website, you'll find an article and plan (http://sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm) for the same outfeed solution you see on the Jet saw I have for sale (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48155). Many folks have built this accomodation for a variety of saws over the past few years.

Von Bickley
01-08-2007, 11:49 AM
An out-feed table for your tablesaw is one of the best shop improvements that you will ever make. Mine is about 4' wide and 6' long. Doubles as an assembly table.;)

Art Davis
01-08-2007, 1:08 PM
Bill,

There is a nice looking flipup outfeed table in Woodsmith, No. 159, page 4 that you might want to look at. It is designed around a pair of strong flipup shelf brackets.

Art

Jeremy Gibson
01-08-2007, 1:39 PM
If you look at my website, you'll find an article and plan (http://sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm) for the same outfeed solution you see on the Jet saw I have for sale (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48155). Many folks have built this accomodation for a variety of saws over the past few years.

I built this very one from Jim's plan on my Grizzly contractor's saw and have been extremely satisfied. Not only does it roll around with my mobile base and fold down when not in use, it finally gives me the support I need for rip cuts. I had been using a folding roller stand, but this solution is head and shoulders above that.

Glen Blanchard
01-08-2007, 4:04 PM
What kind of success should I expect if this was built, but rather than having the support on the angle iron, have it carry down to the mobile base? I just hate the idea of driling holes in my cabinet saw.

Hoa Dinh
01-08-2007, 5:35 PM
There is a nice looking flipup outfeed table in Woodsmith, No. 159, page 4 that you might want to look at. It is designed around a pair of strong flipup shelf brackets.
Bill,

I just happen to have an extra copy of this issue. If you want it, send me an email message with your snail mail address.

-- Hoa

Mike Monroe
01-08-2007, 6:00 PM
I second (or third) the notion of using the tablesaw outfeed plan that Becker has on his website. I used that plan as a basis for adding a folding outfeed table to my Unisaw. And like everyone is saying, adding an outfeed table greatly increases the pleasure factor when using the table saw, plus it gives you another decent sized work surface to cover with "stuff".

There's another post on this subject that mentions using turn-buckles in the angled supports, so one can fine tune the levelness of the outfeed table with respect to the tablesaw. I used turnbuckles in my solution. Also, I was able to bolt the outfeed table directly to my Unisaw top as their were two drilled and tapped bolt holes present that took machine bolts.

-Mike

Al Willits
01-08-2007, 6:35 PM
I've found that table saw extensions are something I should have built asap, being the newbie, it took a bit to figure that out.
I went with the small section going about 18" out and anchored that to the TS, then attached a 32" extension on to that with hinges, its then out of the way when I don't need it.
Least it will as soon as I get the darn hinges for the fold up legs...:)
TS extension should be high on the Gotta have list.
Al

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 8:07 PM
What kind of success should I expect if this was built, but rather than having the support on the angle iron, have it carry down to the mobile base? I just hate the idea of driling holes in my cabinet saw.
There is absolutely no reason you couldn't extend the angle supports down to the mobile base if you choose to. However, if your saw isn't physically fastened to the mobile base, a shove in the wrong direction could cause it to move slightly and that could affect the outfeed solution in turn. Bringing the supports down to the saw cabinet keeps the outfeed table integral with the saw, rather than depending on the relationship between the saw and the mobile base. (Honestly, a few small holes for self-tapping sheet metal screws are not going to hurt your saw one bit, but I can appreciate your concern)

Glen Blanchard
01-09-2007, 10:12 AM
There is absolutely no reason you couldn't extend the angle supports down to the mobile base if you choose to. However, if your saw isn't physically fastened to the mobile base, a shove in the wrong direction could cause it to move slightly

Yep, good point Jim. Will have to ponder this a bit. Love the extension though!!

Art Davis
01-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Just an added thought: There are a couple of threads here discussing the use of a Harbor Fright hydraulic table as the base for an outfeed table. After reading them, I built one. Here's one:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37512&highlight=hydraulic+lift+table
It's extremely useful, and it might find a home even in a small shop 'cause it's multifunctional. The nice feature is that you can construct it so that you can use it on all your tabled tools.
Art

David Giles
01-09-2007, 3:42 PM
Hoa is right, the tricky part is working around the Incra rail. Anything that butts up against the saw table interferes with the fence movement. Plus the rail top is about 3/4" +/- from the saw top.

My solution was to put a bench about 12" behind the saw. This lets me squeeze behind the bench on the odd occassion in cabinet assembly.

The bench top is 3/4" below the saw top. A piece of scrap ply about 12" wide by 4ft long sits on top of the bench. It is flush with and butts up to the saw table. I had to plane the end that goes over the Incra rail just a little. Two 12" scrap boards are screwed underneath the 4ft ply. The bench fits between the two scrap pieces.

This gives a nice outfeed table for long boards. A second one could be used for wide ply cuts, but I've found that only one is needed if it is located approximately in the board center.

Another advantage is that shorter cuts pass over the top of any 3/4" boards that I've left on the bench.

There's probably a better way. I think I heard about a special hinge that fits in the Incra rail.