PDA

View Full Version : The stains from the plane drive me insane

Terek Johnson
01-08-2007, 8:45 AM
Howdy everybody.
Just purchased a bronze-body Lie Nielsen and am having problems with it leaving a nasty metallic stain on my boards. Anyone else encountered this problem; and if so, how did you solve it? Thanks, Terek.

Larry Browning
01-08-2007, 9:25 AM
"nasty metallic stain"?????? I always thought that metal was harder than wood. Any possibility that this is an oil or wax stain? Could you show a picture of what your are refering to?

Andrew Homan
01-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Howdy everybody.
Just purchased a bronze-body Lie Nielsen and am having problems with it leaving a nasty metallic stain on my boards. Anyone else encountered this problem; and if so, how did you solve it? Thanks, Terek.

I have a bronze #4 and a bronze block plane; neither leave stains and both are used frequently. Neither have ever been polished. Does your plane leave the stain on the first passes only or does it always leave the stain?
-Andy

Alice Frampton
01-08-2007, 12:05 PM
From LN's FAQ on their site:

10. My Bronze-bodied tool sometimes leaves marks on the wood. What should I do?

Bronze bodied planes will sometimes leave a mark on your work, especially if they have not been used for some time. In our experience, some people find this marking an intractable problem, others aren't bothered. It should only be a concern with a finishing cut on light wood. With tools used for that sort of work, keep the sole well waxed to minimize marking (of course wax may interfere with some finishes). Alternatively, using the tool enough to wear off (polish) the oxidation on the sole should prevent marks when you don't want them.

So the solution is really "use it' - oh well, we all have to suffer sometimes... :D

Cheers, Alf

Greg Stanford
01-08-2007, 2:41 PM
Yes, but what effect is this all having on the rains in Spain?

Terek Johnson
01-08-2007, 8:58 PM
I have a bronze #4 and a bronze block plane; neither leave stains and both are used frequently. Neither have ever been polished. Does your plane leave the stain on the first passes only or does it always leave the stain?
-Andy
Yeah, this is literally the first time I used it. Have some really peachy tiger maple; made several passes with the plane, noticing a nasty dark grey streak after each pass. Just trying to figure out if this is a situation that occurs with bronze planes (this is the first one I've ever owned), and if there is some type of prep you need to do to the plane prior to using it so as to avoid this situation. Thanks y'all.
Tried to download pictures, but for what ever reason wasn't able, oh well.

Ryan Cathey
01-08-2007, 9:18 PM
They have to be in the right format. Email the pictures to yourself, save them in "My Pictures" or where ever, and then try to attach them.

-Ryan C.

Andrew Homan
01-09-2007, 9:12 AM
[...] if there is some type of prep you need to do to the plane prior to using it so as to avoid this situation.

I think it is oxidation from the plane sole wiping off onto the surface of the wood. First, see whether it continues as you use the plane.
If this happened to me, I'd first try waxing the sole, then if that didn't work, follow whatever LN's recommendation for polishing the bronze was -- some kind of polishing cloth, I believe. See whether that takes care of the problem.
Like I said above, this hasn't happened with my 2 bronze planes, but I've heard about it from others and LN mention it in their product notes.
I love my bronze planes because I consider them to be "low maintenance" compared to my iron planes that call for oiling to prevent rust.
-Andy

Terek Johnson
01-09-2007, 9:29 AM
I think it is oxidation from the plane sole wiping off onto the surface of the wood. First, see whether it continues as you use the plane.
If this happened to me, I'd first try waxing the sole, then if that didn't work, follow whatever LN's recommendation for polishing the bronze was -- some kind of polishing cloth, I believe. See whether that takes care of the problem.
Like I said above, this hasn't happened with my 2 bronze planes, but I've heard about it from others and LN mention it in their product notes.
I love my bronze planes because I consider them to be "low maintenance" compared to my iron planes that call for oiling to prevent rust.
-Andy
Andrew, I took your advice. Everything is fine and dandy now, thanks for the tips! And yes, I agree with your summation of bronze vs. iron. I live in a damp part of the country, and am looking forward to less rust-stress. Thanks again, Terek.
P.S. Ryan, thanks for the tip regarding downloading photos.