PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on Sears Variable Speed Bench Grinder

Tim Malyszko
01-08-2007, 8:25 AM
I was at Sears yesterday picking up a few items and came across their 8" variable speed bench grinder (1725-3450 RPM) - model #OR15106. In person, it seemed like a pretty decent unit and would make a nice replacement for the 40+ year old 6" grinder from my Grandpa's basement, especially for $99.

The reason it appealed to me is that I was looking to purchase seperate hi and low speed grinders, but this would give me the best of both worlds and take up less room than 2 seperate grinders.

Any opinions on this grinder or recommendations on any other grinder in the $100 price range would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Noah Katz
01-08-2007, 2:19 PM
Interesting - I looked it up and it says "1725-3450 RPM".

I have a feeling that means 2 speeds by switching between 2 and 4 pole operation, but that's still quite useful.

Tim Malyszko
01-08-2007, 2:40 PM
Interesting - I looked it up and it says "1725-3450 RPM".

I have a feeling that means 2 speeds by switching between 2 and 4 pole operation, but that's still quite useful.

When I was in the store, it looks like its truely variable speed - not 2 speed. There is a dial on the front that looks like it gives you the ability to dial in a specifc speed.

Here is the link:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00921162000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Bench+Grinders&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Charles Cannon
01-08-2007, 8:59 PM
I bought a craftsman 8 inch VS grinder at Cristmas. Mine is model #152.211620 and is variable speed by turning a knob at the switch. Mine came with a 60 grit gray wheel and a wire brush. I would have rather have had a fine stone than the brush but that is something I can change. I have been needing to up grade from the weak 6 inch grinder I have had for the last 15 years and have not seen many 8 inch grinders much cheaper so I guess I would recommend it. Anyone know what company the 152 source code stands for?
Cannon

Jesse Thornton
01-08-2007, 9:34 PM
I don't have any opinion about the VS grinder, but I have owned a craftsman 'professional' 8" grinder for a few years, and it has been excellent value for the money. Right after buying it, I replaced the coarse wheel with an 80g aluminium oxide wheel from lee valley and gotten great results from that as well. There aren't a whole lot of craftsman tools that I'd buy, but the grinder has held up well, and their shop vacs are pretty good too.

Randal Stevenson
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Anyone know what company the 152 source code stands for?
Cannon

Orion International

Tom Jones III
01-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I was given a similar 6" machine about 8 years ago. I primarily use it for sharpening turning tools. It is truely variable speed and it has worked fine for me. The tool rests are not high precison and I intend to replace them someday but that is probably true for most grinders.

Noah Katz
01-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Interesting, I wonder how they do the VS.

Looks pretty nice except for the flimsy inner wheel guard supporting the tool rests and the rests themselves.

I guess the thing to do is bypass it by bolting the grinder and a better tool rest to a table.