PDA

View Full Version : heating question

larry merlau
01-08-2007, 7:51 AM
what size of heating furnace or source would be needed to heat 15000cubic ft of area with adequate insulation? and approx price if known. thanks for the help.

Al Willits
01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Hard to do over the Internet.
Maybe find someone in HVAC sales and see if they have a heat loss program, the sales dept here where I work has it on their computers and they'll punch in the data, like area, ceiling height, insulation, lights, etc and will get pretty close to what ya need.
I think you'd be just guessing other wise.

Al

Bob Rufener
01-08-2007, 6:30 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I would suggest going to an hvlp installer and ask for a quote on a furnace. (No obligation quote). If you have a plan, take it along. Otherwise they will want to know things such as amount of insulation in the walls and ceilings, size of window and door openings, and dimensions of the building or room I think it's important to do this so you can get the proper size unit for your area. (not too big or too small)

Ben Grunow
01-08-2007, 9:05 PM
General rule of thumb has always been 40 btu per square foot (I think- but I'm pretty sure) for the average house with normal size windows and insulation to code. Cathedral ceilings or large garage doors/windows will add a little.

I would also consult an HVAC contractor and get their take as long as it is free.

Hope that is right.

Ben

larry merlau
01-09-2007, 7:55 AM
thanks for the replys, now i can at least get an approx idea of what i need and pricing