PDA

View Full Version : Beech Bowl

John Hart
01-08-2007, 6:22 AM
From the wood run that my neighbor and I did on Saturday, I decided to turn a small bowl from Beech, just to see how it'd turn out. I was pretty happy with the results. This was really just a scrap from making a bunch of larger blanks and I ended up with 4 blanks this size. The bowl is 7X3, turned thin, sealed with a couple coats of shellac, then a couple coats of satin lacquer....buffed over with 0000 steel wool. It's as green as can be, so I wonder if it will even survive. Sanding heated it up quite a bit and dried it (at least on the surface) so maybe she won't split apart.....but time will tell.

A little lace for effect.;) Thanks for lookin'

Pete Jordan
01-08-2007, 6:27 AM
That sure turned out great!

Sounds like you have quite a bit of fun ahead of you.

George Tokarev
01-08-2007, 6:41 AM
Pretty, but are you sure it's beech? Maybe it's just these old eyes or your focus, but I don't see the dark fleck ray figure that beech is known for.

Which, BTW, is good, because that's the place the checks begin. Beech is an extremely difficult wood for me to get dry safely. With a greater than 2:1 tangential/radial shrink ratio, it's no wonder it's not a popular wood for flat work, and a bear to dry as bowls. You were wise to cut it thin right away, but be prepared for some spectacular warp.

David Fried
01-08-2007, 6:42 AM
Nice! You're having too much fun!! I like the wood and the shape. Great job!

John Hart
01-08-2007, 6:47 AM
Pretty, but are you sure it's beech? Maybe it's just these old eyes or your focus, but I don't see the dark fleck ray figure that beech is known for.

Which, BTW, is good, because that's the place the checks begin. Beech is an extremely difficult wood for me to get dry safely. With a greater than 2:1 tangential/radial shrink ratio, it's no wonder it's not a popular wood for flat work, and a bear to dry as bowls. You were wise to cut it thin right away, but be prepared for some spectacular warp.

It does have the characteristic fleck in it, but fairly light colored. My neighbor insisted it was Beech and I didn't argue. :) I hope it doesn't warp of course....but to be honest, I kinda think it will.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-08-2007, 6:53 AM
That Beech is some pretty wood. Keep doing this kind of work with scraps and I'll start calling you "Ole Scrappy". (lovingly stated):D I like the form of the piece and it kind of reminds me a bit of Bradford Pear but not as dark. Good Job!:)

Keith Burns
01-08-2007, 8:22 AM
John, great job on this. Like the wood, form and finish.:) :) And to think a horse and sleigh were involved.

Glenn Hodges
01-08-2007, 8:30 AM
We don't have any of that down here, I can see why you could not wait to turn a piece of it. It looks so nice.

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2007, 9:03 AM
Very nice looking bowl John! I don't have a clue about beech but sure looks like a nice wood. Would love to see another photo of it - say a few weeks from now if it warped. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Engle
01-08-2007, 9:51 AM
Nice bowl John.

Mark Pruitt
01-08-2007, 9:55 AM
John, your bowl looks great in lace.;) Actually it looks great in nothing at all.;) ;) :D Nice job!

Mike Ramsey
01-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Good looking wood & great job on turning it. If it warps then
it becomes more artsey....

George Tokarev
01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't have a clue about beech but sure looks like a nice wood.

Any jobber cutting east of Sand River on higher ground ought to have lots of beech available. It's got waterproof bark, so it spalts quickly, but, I think, attractively. Bark doesn't stay on well as the piece dries, because of the tremendous shrinkage in the wood itself.

The middle shows the characteristic grey smooth bark. It remains smooth through the life of the tree, so anything much over 6-7" in diameter can be distinguished by the bark from hard maple. Another characteristic noticeable this time of year is that beech holds its leaves into the winter, like red oak.

Jonathon Spafford
01-08-2007, 1:11 PM
That is a beautiful bowl John... I sure like the shape. It is different, but a pleasing shape! Very nice.

Bill Boehme
01-08-2007, 3:57 PM
I would have guessed elm, but then I wouldn't know beech from shinola. If it were elm, it would have a prounounced barnyard aroma. If you turn it thin, it is probably safe from splitting and it may already be dry. You can use compressed air on thin green wood to get it almost completely dry.

Bill

Tom Sherman
01-08-2007, 4:52 PM
Cool bowl John, that beech looks real nice.

John Hart
01-08-2007, 6:01 PM
Thanks everyone! Ya know...ya'll are just too kind. I checked the bowl tonight and see no movement. Course then, it's only been a day and it's cold out in the shop. I'll just leave it alone. As far as the wood goes, I'm 99% sure it's Beech. Eli knows his trees, plus the bark says beech and I checked some of the other pieces and the distinctive fleck is all through it. Can't wait to turn some more.

By the way..George...those are some great NE pieces. I bet you could make a baby recliner doing them that way!:)

Christopher Hunter
01-08-2007, 6:23 PM
Wow very nice John---
--Love the finish
Keep 'em comin'
--Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2007, 9:51 PM
My man John! Well done sir! After you long absence you've raised the bar again! Nicley done!

PS....would you ask Eli how much he wants for the two colts and how much he'd charge to deliver them to your barn?

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
PS....would you ask Eli how much he want for the two colts and how much he'd charge to deliver them to your barn?

An Abysseration of the, um...equine kind...in mind there, Ken? :D :D :D

-----

John...nice piece 'o beech. Lovely stuff and you brought out a lot of nice things in it!

John Hart
01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
My wife was just looking over my shoulder and started laughing. She gave an amish lady a ride to the store today, and they just talked talked talked about how nice it would be if we would take one of the foals that are due late this spring.....Ken Fitzgerald wanting to buy a couple of baby draft horses from a man he's never met....My daughters, who can't even take care of the dog mind you, think it would be like "My Friend Flicka" all over again. Oh and not to mention the rest of you hooligans thinking it's the best way to gather wood!!! Sheesh!!!

All I want is to turn wood, look at my orchard, and mow my lawn. I need Barry Stratton. He knows how to make jerky.;) :D

Barry Stratton
01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm here for ya John, just call!

GREAT LOOKING BOWL btw. I love the contrast in sap and heartwood.

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Looks mighty fine to me Mr. Hart. John I like to form and finish. I definately would be interested to see if it moves.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2007, 12:59 AM
My wife was just looking over my shoulder and started laughing. She gave an amish lady a ride to the store today, and they just talked talked talked about how nice it would be if we would take one of the foals that are due late this spring.....Ken Fitzgerald wanting to buy a couple of baby draft horses from a man he's never met....My daughters, who can't even take care of the dog mind you, think it would be like "My Friend Flicka" all over again. Oh and not to mention the rest of you hooligans thinking it's the best way to gather wood!!! Sheesh!!!

All I want is to turn wood, look at my orchard, and mow my lawn. I need Barry Stratton. He knows how to make jerky.;) :D

I knew it! Standby for the future adventures of Hopalong Hart!:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-09-2007, 2:10 AM
Pretty wood, John, plus nice figure, and a GREAT form.

Bruce

Pat Doble
01-09-2007, 8:41 PM
Nice looking bowl John - I love the shape...

Ernie Nyvall
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
We have Beach down here too. We call it drift wood... got too much sand in it.:rolleyes:

Nice job horse whisperer.:p

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2007, 10:42 PM
George, thank you very much for the info on beech. Really like your turnings - very pretty wood! I will have to check into picking some of that up. Thanks again.

Jim Ketron
01-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Nice Job John!
Glad to see you back in the swing of things.;)

Corey Hallagan
01-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Nice work John, very pretty!

Corey

Gary DeWitt
01-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Nice bowl, John. Ya know, you DID say the only way to get out to those woods was with a horse...

Bob Hallowell
01-10-2007, 7:40 AM
Another characteristic noticeable this time of year is that beech holds its leaves into the winter, like red oak.

Jonh, First off very nice bowl. even if it warps it will be nice.

George, My red oak and beech both lose there leaves in the fall with the rest of my trees? My cucumber likes to hang on to them alittle longer though.

Bob