PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gloat (pun intended)

Rob Nolan
01-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey guys and Gals!

I took the plunge into the world of woodturning. Went to Woodcraft and picked up a Jet Mini and the small mini set of Sorby tools on sale. Ordered the Supernova2 and Trend AirShield online and picked up a big slab of poplar to practice with. As you can see by the turnings in the picture I'm real "green" at this. I had a couple catches (none serious) but it's very scary ... I can see how newbies could get turned off to turning.

I also picked up a book and ordered some videos(Raffan) ... contacted the local turning club for an invite to there next meeting ... I'm on my way ... I'll be turning bowls and HF's in no time!

I have to say I'm not thrilled with the tools maybe it's b/c they are too small? I don't know. I asked the guy who sold them too me if they needed to be sharpened before use and he told me no b/c Sorby is a good name and they are already sharp. Took them out of the box and put them to the wood ... I might as well have been using a butter knife they were so dull ... took out the tormek and spend an hour sharpening ... WOW what a difference sharp tools make ... I had chips bouncing off the Trend shield in no time.

Even though I have no idea what I'm doing I think I'm hooked ... I'm drooling over high end lathes now ... The Stubby looks great! :D

That's all for now ... Oh! .. Hey Ken ... thanks for your advise in the PM!!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Rob that is a great gloat. Hang onto your wallet. I fell into the black hole about a year ago. Don't regret it one bit. Have fun and those are some nice first turnings.

Dario Octaviano
01-07-2007, 10:44 PM
CONGRATS!!!

You found a good hobby ...since you sound like you have money to burn LOL :D (Tormek, Trend AS, Stubby (even for the future)). The good side, you can always keep the mini as backup lathe if you do upgrade.

No kidding, turning is the best hobby I've found so far.

Rob Nolan
01-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys ... It's going to be a learning experiance ... not to mention costly!:eek: But I think it will be worth it!!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the Abyss Rob! Nothing like jumping in with both feet! Looks like you are set for equipment for the time being! Have fun, you are going to love this sport!

Pete Jordan
01-08-2007, 6:22 AM
Welcome Rob!

I have the same set of tools and the Trend and love them both. Nice turnings!

David Fried
01-08-2007, 6:55 AM
You're off to a good start!

I used my Sorby tools with the factory edge for almost a year!! I didn't have a grinder and was afraid to ruin the edge. Well, I did ruin the edges - several times but even that was better than the factory edge!!! Now I can sharpen most of my tools most of the time and, as you note, what a difference!!

Have fun!!! (The number of catches defininately decreases with time!!)

Christopher K. Hartley
01-08-2007, 7:03 AM
Congrats Rob, looks like you are well on your way!:)

John Hart
01-08-2007, 7:48 AM
.....I asked the guy who sold them too me if they needed to be sharpened before use and he told me no b/c Sorby is a good name and they are already sharp.....

Interesting statement.:rolleyes: Welcome to The Vortex Rob! May your days be filled with dizziness and empty on more catches!:)

Keith Burns
01-08-2007, 8:05 AM
Welcome to the dark side Rob !! Great gloat:) :)

Rob Nolan
01-08-2007, 8:12 AM
Thanks guys ... as I said I have a ton to learn but look forward to the evenings when I have a little time to make shavings (chips ... haven't seen shavings yet :))!

Tom Sherman
01-08-2007, 4:08 PM
Cool gloat Rob, nice turnings.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2007, 9:57 PM
Rob..........excellent first turnings! These idiots shoved me into the Vortex about this time last year. I was maybe at the outside...2 weeks from having my new shop finished.....I always had a couple of hundred dollars in my billfold.......Well.......I've worked maybe 30 minutes on finishing my shop since then.....I'm always broke these days....I'm always plotting my next turning...turning tool purchase.....BUT.........I sure smile more than I used to........Enjoy my friend!