PDA

View Full Version : Biggest HF so far

Christopher Hunter
01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi everyone,
I simply love the weekends when I have nothing to do but turn---
Today ,
I wanted to start with a full log about 12" long and 6-7"dia and wow it was big---
for me anyways,
and I was able to get this done. took me about 4 hours but hey at least I didn't ruin it..
I think I was going for a David Marks kind of vessel, but left the opening big in order to get all the way down that puppy ...
Next time I think I will make a hollowing rig cause my arms took a beating:rolleyes:

Walnut Log with pith
10" tall -- 5"dia at widest part--
no finish yet - sanded to 600
--
Comments wanted --
Thanks
--Chris

Pete Jordan
01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
That' a big on Chris! I woundn't think about try that without a rig.

Great Job!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm Going to echo Pete. Great job!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2007, 10:45 PM
That is a beauty Chris. Did you use steady rest on it? Nice form and finish.

Christopher Hunter
01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Yea, I made a steady rest a few months back and have found it great for HF's...
I'm not sure if I will make a hollowing rig or not--
Other than the torque problems, I don't see how one would help..
but the steady rest is a must!!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Nice looking HF Chris! I like the form and love the grain! What kind of finish are you going to use?

Christopher Hunter
01-08-2007, 12:30 AM
I like using Tung oil but Lately I've been using Wipe-on poly,
and I was so eager to show the two pieces that I didn't want to wait to get them in threads in here.....;)

Christopher K. Hartley
01-08-2007, 7:02 AM
Christopher, Great Job! I like the overall form. I was wondering if the base is as rounded off as the picture shows. I wonder if a bit more edge would compliment the total form better. Just my perception. I really do like it and you are to be commended for attacking this much depth. Keep up the great work!:)

Keith Burns
01-08-2007, 8:19 AM
Great job Christopher !!:) I used to think the Captive Hollowing tools were not worth the effort, until I used one. I wouldn't be without it now. Not only do you avoid the beating but you have much more control.

Mike Ramsey
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Great looking Vase Christopher! I echo Keith about not getting
beat up with a captive tool....

Frank Kobilsek
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Chris

Nice work. Captured hollowing vs. free hand hollowing is like being 20 something vs. 40 something. I got mine sketched out and plan to get it built yet this winter.

Frank

Keith Burns
01-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Chris

Nice work. Captured hollowing vs. free hand hollowing is like being 20 something vs. 40 something. I got mine sketched out and plan to get it built yet this winter.

Frank

What's the holdup Frank? You have had plenty of time:rolleyes:

Frank Kobilsek
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Keith

5/8 vs. 3/4 that is the struggle. I bought the Bosch 5/8 set at the AAW meeting. Now I can't find a shear scraper tool holder. I am thinking of buying a Don pencil set and starting over. Probably could make a 5/8 handle and a 3/4 handle to fit my captured rest idea.

That and I'd rather turn than make turning tools.

Happy Day

Frank

Christopher Hunter
01-08-2007, 6:31 PM
Hey Frank you could always make your own scraper......
and Making tools for turning can be just as much fun as turning--- But I have never found this ... it's just like having to clean the shop ---it needs to be done but I don't want to be the one to do it.....LOL

Either way hope you get things going soon !!
--Chris