PDA

View Full Version : Longer Assembly time Glue?

Perry Holbrook
01-07-2007, 8:44 PM
I've managed to design and have machined the major parts for a bathroom armoire that is going to be a pain to assemble. I have sub assembled the end frames But the rails and stiles, internal dust frames and shelves (all sliding dovetails) are designed in a way that makes further sub-assembly not possible.

So I am in need of a slower setting glue that will get me a longer assembly time. Are any of the tite bonds slower setting? I'm not a fan of the polyurethane glues and would rather not use epoxy. Is there something else I should consider or can I increase the assembly time of the PVA's with an additive?

Thanks, Perry

Chris Barton
01-07-2007, 9:08 PM
Perry,

TB makes an extended set glue and plastic resin glue would have a long open time as well.

Bruce Page
01-07-2007, 9:38 PM
Tite-Bond III will give you a little extra time.

Perry Holbrook
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I wasn't aware of the Titebond Extend product. Maybe because it's not in the catalogs I usually order from. But I did see that Rockler has it. It says it has 15min assembly time. About twice as long as their other glues. I'll just have to figure out how to do this in under 15 min.

Thanks, Perry

Matt Robinette
01-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Perry
PPV glue gives you about 20 min working time. It comes in a powder and mixes with water. Cleans up with water and will handle high humidity and heat.

Matt Robinette
01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I am sorry it is called PPR. David Marks used on the dove tails for the blanket chest he made on the last Wood Works show for the long working time.
precatalyzed plactic powdered urea-formaldehyde resin.

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2007, 11:29 PM
TB III has a longer working time

glenn bradley
01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Locking joints and I are not yet Friends. I asked about TB extended and got mixed reviews so I tried it my self. I found that when using drawer lock joints and needing a little extra time to be sure everything is square I was able to adjust things without having to force them. I felt this was a good thing. The glue does require a little longer clamp time per the directions but over all I was satisfied and the joints appear to be as strong as regular PVA glues once set.

Perry Holbrook
01-08-2007, 6:47 AM
Matt, can you give me an example of a brand name for the PPR product?

Thanks, Perry

Al Navas
01-08-2007, 7:27 AM
DAP plastic resin glue, available from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Dap-Inc-Plas-Resin-Glue/dp/B0006B67SC), or from BuilderDepot (http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?pid=115513&step=5&prodstoreid=1738).

This is the 1-pound tub, but you can purchase larger quantities as needed. Or you could try your local ACE Hardware; many of the ACE stores are reported to carry it, but not in the ones around here.

I actually buy it from BuilderDepot. They ship from a local distribution center, only about 5 miles from me - as a result, I get it overnight. They are reported to have relations with a few(?) thousand vendors.

Matt Robinette
01-08-2007, 7:26 PM
I use Ultra Cat for veneer work. You should be able to buy it from most veneer suppliers. I buy mine from JoeWoodworker.com
Good Luck

Brian Gumpper
01-08-2007, 7:35 PM
Only problem with DAP Weldwood is it's water based and once the wood absorbs the moisture things can swell. Probably OK for joint work but not the best for veneering.

There are other Urea Resin glue's that are not water based that work well. Don't have any names handy.

Noah Katz
01-09-2007, 1:07 PM
It'd robably help to assemble in an unheated room as well.