PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table Finished

Hans Braul
01-07-2007, 8:36 PM
Just finished a hall table - a housewarming gift for my brother who just bought his first house. Sort of a Shaker-esque design - I continue to experiment with tapered legs that curve both out and to the side. Had fun with this one. Lovely pitch pocket figure in the top and I really liked forming the legs with planes and spokeshave. The finish is BLO followed by about 8 coats of 1-1/2 lb shellac, then waxed. The joints are traditional M&T.

As always I sincerely solicit criticisms and/or suggestions for improvement. I am still a newbie and with each project I learn how much I still need to learn.

Thanks for looking

Hans Braul

Mark Singer
01-07-2007, 8:41 PM
Hans,
Excellent! You seemed to get through this one without any issues... That is a sign that you are learning and you are on the right track. It is good to take an easy project and then a more challenging one ....that builds skill and confidence and this project has some challenges and you handled them skillfully....whats next?:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-07-2007, 8:41 PM
Hans, I REALLY like that table...I'm thinking of something similar for our addition. Great job on this project!

Are the table ends slightly radiused? I'm not sure if they are or my eyes are playing tricks with me...it's been a long day... ;)

Roy Wall
01-07-2007, 8:42 PM
Hans......

This looks really nice! Great porportions and such. The legs are just RIGHT! Looks like a little "arc" on each end of the top....???

Did you apply the shellac with homemade "pad"....That stuff dries so quick I haven't tried it on a surface as big as the top you've made...

Hans Braul
01-07-2007, 8:46 PM
Are the table ends slightly radiused? I'm not sure if they are or my eyes are playing tricks with me...it's been a long day... ;)

The ends are curved - not round, just what looked good to me. More straight near the back, curving more toward the front.

Thanks for the feedback!
Hans

Hans Braul
01-07-2007, 8:49 PM
Hans......

This looks really nice! Great porportions and such. The legs are just RIGHT! Looks like a little "arc" on each end of the top....???

Did you apply the shellac with homemade "pad"....That stuff dries so quick I haven't tried it on a surface as big as the top you've made...

Thanks Roy. Yes, I used just some t-shirt material balled up. I really saturated the ball with shellac, and did the "airplane landing and taking off" trick. After the shellac, I applied wax with 0000 steel wool to get rid of any remaining surface imperfections, then a couple more coats to produce the final finish.

Regards
Hans

Chris Barton
01-07-2007, 9:07 PM
Hans, that's a very handsome table. Your brother is, I'm sure, rightfully proud.

Hans Braul
01-07-2007, 9:43 PM
Hans,
It is good to take an easy project and then a more challenging one ....that builds skill and confidence and this project has some challenges and you handled them skillfully....whats next?:rolleyes:

Thanks Mark. My next project is to build a companion piece to my first one. I think I can refine this design by doing a slightly different drawer pull, changing the shape of the front legs a bit, and reducing the width of the rails to give a finer look. What do you think?

Bruce Page
01-07-2007, 9:46 PM
Hans, no criticisms from me. That's a lovely hall table, it looks very elegant!

Martin Shupe
01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Nice table, Hans.

While most folks don't care for pitch pockets in cherry, my wife specifically has me select cherry lumber for pitch pockets as she prefers them.

Rick de Roque
01-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Love the table. On some pieces I like the pitch pockets in cherry and you used it well on this piece.

Rick

John Headley
01-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I really like the proportions and the overall lines of the piece. Also, a great choice in wood. Thanks for sharing.

Henry Cavanaugh
01-08-2007, 6:04 PM
Very nice Hans. I especially like the subtle curved ends. What flavor wood and what flavor shellac?

Hans Braul
01-08-2007, 6:23 PM
Flavours? Hmmmm ..... Rocky Road???

The wood is all cherry and the shellac is amber, applied at 1-1/2 lb cut.

Thanks for the feedback. I posted the same piece on a Canadian site and it seems most people either really liked the design or really had issues with it. What's the feeling here? I guess it's a good thing if a design elicits a response, one way or the other?

Hans