PDA

View Full Version : PA Spice Box-Construction

Michael Keating
01-07-2007, 8:35 PM
Hello all,

Thought I would share some pics of a PA spice box I am building. I am making this from some scrap walnut I had and the front door panel is coming from a nice piece of walnut from my grandfathers garage.

I am using most hand tools, but used a router for the stopped dadoes in the sides as I do not have a router plane. I am going to carve a "K" into the middle drawer for our family name and I might carve our first initials into the smaller drawers.

This has been a complex project so far, I accidently plowed too many dadoes on on side and had to patch it up (photo 1). This is the advantage og the patternmakers vice. You can see the other great details of the vice for dovetailing.

I am also including a picture of a great trick Alan Turner taught me, putting chalk into the scrib lines on a darker wood. Works like a charm.

And finally the dry fit.

Thanks for looking.

Jim Becker
01-07-2007, 8:37 PM
Gonna be a beauty, Michael! ('Was down your way this afternoon for a Russian Christmas party at Bryn Mawr College)

Alan Turner
01-07-2007, 8:46 PM
Looking good, Mike. I see your Emmert is mounted with some smaller screws. If you need some #18's or 20's, give me a shout and as I have a lifetime supply of traditional wood screws, up to #20's. Price is right, of course.

Brian Knodel
01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
You’re making that from scraps? …. I’d give my eye teeth to have a look in your scrap bin!

Your project looks strangely familiar as I think I took a stab at this same design, (Glen Huey?) only I made my spice box from willow and could only dream of finding wood wide enough as yours for a side panel.

I’d be interested to know how you plan to tackle the crown molding.

Looking forward to more photos of progression.

Brian