PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Clamps ?

aurelio alarcon
11-17-2003, 11:57 PM
I would like to know what you guys think of Penn State Clamps. They seem awfully cheap. What are they comparable to? I have submitted a poll that precedes this thread.

Randy Gleckler
11-18-2003, 11:26 AM
I would like to know what you guys think of Penn State Clamps. They seem awfully cheap. What are they comparable to? I have submitted a poll that precedes this thread.

If your talking about the quick clamp look alikes, I voted not recommended on them. I got a few of them because of the price and figured how bad could they be? When I got them they looked like they would work fine, however when I went to use them I was not impressed. Every time I tried to make that last squeeze of pressure (you know to actually apply pressure) the bar would flex and the clamp would not grab and return to the previous point. I think maybe one of the 6-8 clamps I ordered actually will apply pressure like the quick clamps you can get at HD or Lowes. I would definatley not buy these again.

Randy

aurelio alarcon
11-18-2003, 3:18 PM
If your talking about the quick clamp look alikes, I voted not recommended on them. I got a few of them because of the price and figured how bad could they be? When I got them they looked like they would work fine, however when I went to use them I was not impressed. Every time I tried to make that last squeeze of pressure (you know to actually apply pressure) the bar would flex and the clamp would not grab and return to the previous point. I think maybe one of the 6-8 clamps I ordered actually will apply pressure like the quick clamps you can get at HD or Lowes. I would definatley not buy these again.

Randy
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the clamps that are similar to the jorgenson bar clamps. I have a couple of their light duty bar clamps and noticed that they do bow a little. But I only use them for glue-ups and they work fine for that. I couldn't use them to force two pieces together though.

aurelio alarcon
11-18-2003, 3:21 PM
I've received some replys to my poll, and I would like to thank all of you who have responded. The results are indeed telling.