PDA

View Full Version : Finger Saver

Syd Lorandeau
01-07-2007, 6:45 PM
Hi Guys,
I have been looking into the Board Buddies and the Gripper System, know I need one but which is the best way to go.
Thanks, Syd

Jeffrey Makiel
01-07-2007, 6:52 PM
Actually...I think they compliment each other: Grrrippers are best used for ripping thin stock (less than 2" wide). Board Buddies are good for ripping wider stock (over 2" wide).

Board Buddies are best suited for ripping long stock. Grrrippers are best for short stock using two Grrippers to 'leap frog' the board thru.

You cannot use Board Buddies and Grrippers at the same time.

-Jeff :)

John Shuk
01-07-2007, 7:38 PM
Can't help ya with the question at hand Syd...I just wanted to say Hello. The lathe is running real nice.
John

Mark Singer
01-07-2007, 8:33 PM
Board Buddies are great for almost every cut at the cabinet saw...crosscuts...I use a sled..

Jim VanBramer
01-10-2007, 3:05 PM
Forgive me for not totally understanding how these work (or how I would work with these), but it seems like unless the piece against the fence was sufficiently wide you would have a problem once your hand/push stick reached the Buddy. It seems to me that it would be quite awkward, but maybe I'm not seeing at it correctly. Help!:confused:

CPeter James
01-10-2007, 3:29 PM
Hi Syd,

I bought the Grippers a couple of years ago when the Guild was selling them. I have two, one with all the accessories and one basic. They are great for thin pieces down to about 1'4". For wider longer pieces, a finger board ( I have one of the magnetic ones) and a push stick are what I use.

CPeter

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2007, 3:30 PM
Jim,
That's an accurate observation. It's also why I prefer Grrrippers or a homemade push stick when ripping narrow stock when the Buddies are in the way.

I would also like to say that I'm finding myself using the Buddies much less often all together. They are good for performing a lot of repeatitive cuts, but I've found them to become annoying to adjust or remove/reinstall all the time.

Another aid that also sidelined the Buddies was my removable splitter. I just wish it was a riving knife instead.

-Jeff :)

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2007, 3:48 PM
Brain, Gripper, Board Buddies, Accu Miter, and Sawstop - all my finger savers.

Will make a new sled soon too.

Noah Katz
01-12-2007, 6:29 PM
"Another aid that also sidelined the Buddies was my removable splitter. "

I just ordered a PM2000 w/riving knife and was wondering about that.

It would seem that a BB past the blade would be somewhat redundant depending on the lateral stiffness of the RK, but that the front one would still be useful.