PDA

View Full Version : I don’t know how the pros do it!

Bruce Page
01-07-2007, 5:26 PM
I have about two weeks into these doors and I still have to do the final sanding & fitting…

Details; Cabinet doors, 26”X36”, 4/4 QSWO, mortise & tenon with 3/8” square pegs, 8 per door (pegs are ironwood). Sliding dovetail muttons with walnut dowels. Mutton cross joints are half lapped with #8 screws at the intersections, (will use brass at final assembly). 18, ½” deep rabbits to accept the beveled glass windows. I still need to make and fit the ¼ rounds to hold the glass, 72 of them total.

It’s beyond me how anyone could make a buck doing this full time…:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2007, 5:40 PM
Fantastic craftsmanship Bruce! The work shows your attention to detail and execution! Well done!

Joe Mioux
01-07-2007, 5:47 PM
Very nice, Bruce!

What are you building?

Joe

Per Swenson
01-07-2007, 5:48 PM
Nice work Bruce,

Its like this, after the first one.....

it takes the same amount of time for two or twenty.

Make twenty, that way 19 are free.

Per

Jim Becker
01-07-2007, 6:40 PM
Outstanding work, Bruce!

Jeffrey Makiel
01-07-2007, 7:03 PM
Bruce.
Lookin' good. True divided light windows are always the best looking and a challenge to make. Looks like you got the knack for it.
-Jeff :)

Bruce Page
01-07-2007, 7:42 PM
Very nice, Bruce!

What are you building?

Joe
Thanks Joe. I building a bookcase/curio cabinet thingy. I've been working on it off & on for longer than I care to admit...
I hung one of the doors and tried to get a couple of pics – not easy to do in my crowded shop. I still have to make the drawers, shelves and back, and of course a lot of finish sanding.

Joe Mioux
01-07-2007, 7:58 PM
Someone has a lot of collectibles. That case is going to make someone very happy!

Nice work, Bruce.

Joe

Gary Keedwell
01-07-2007, 8:20 PM
Nice job...I also like your lathe. Looks like your set up for collet work plus your chuck. Can't tell you how many times I wish I had a lathe with a collet.

Gary K.

Mark Singer
01-07-2007, 8:30 PM
Bruce,
Great work...the door and window makers have some special stuff we don't have...and like anything else once you have done it, it is easy.......er:rolleyes:

Frank Snyder
01-07-2007, 8:47 PM
Phenomonal workmanship, Bruce. Those joints are perfect! Please follow up this thread with some pictures of the finished product. It looks beautiful!

Bruce Page
01-07-2007, 9:00 PM
Bruce,
Great work...the door and window makers have some special stuff we don't have...and like anything else once you have done it, it is easy.......er:rolleyes:

One thing I didn’t have was a chisel/bullnose plane. I just ordered one from Lee Valley after hand chiseling out a dozen or so corners - and it wasn't getting any eaiser!

Jay Knepper
01-07-2007, 9:01 PM
Beautiful job, Bruce!

That's a piece that the kids will be sure to fight over. ;)

Mike Cutler
01-07-2007, 9:20 PM
One thing I didn’t have was a chisel/bullnose plane. I just ordered one from Lee Valley after hand chiseling out a dozen or so corners - and it wasn't getting any eaiser!

Nice work Bruce. Very high quality display case doors, and cabinet too.

You're really going to like that chisel plane! ;), ;), :D.

john blanchard
01-07-2007, 9:36 PM
Very nice, I noticed the pegs look like they overhang the body part, i`ve not seen it done like this before, was it hard to produce, it makes for a very nice fit.

Bruce Page
01-07-2007, 9:42 PM
Very nice, I noticed the pegs look like they overhang the body part, i`ve not seen it done like this before, was it hard to produce, it makes for a very nice fit.
They took a little more work to make than straight plugs would have but I couldn't cut a square hole to my liking. :o

jonathan snyder
01-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Very nice Bruce. Your joinery is awesone. I really like the pegs, would you please explain how you made them?

Thanks
Jonathan

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Excellent work!! Agree it'd be difficult to hire someone to take the time to do it properly (as u did)

glenn bradley
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Those are beautiful and once again, I thank my stars that I don't do this for a living . . . I'd starve.

John Schreiber
01-08-2007, 1:02 AM
That looks really great. You can bet quality like that costs so much that few people can afford it. That's one of the great things about doing it yourself. Not only do you enjoy the work, but you get fine craftsmanship at the end.

It's also true that a pro would have worked out most of the kinks by the time they had finished their third one and they could do it much faster using just the right tools and jigs.

Jim Benante
01-08-2007, 2:38 AM
Looks like pro work to me!

Ken Shoemaker
01-08-2007, 5:04 AM
Bruce, That is NICE work... How did you make the pegs? I'm getting ready to do a project and would be satisfied for mine to come out half as good.... That is really nice work .

Jerry LaBelle
01-08-2007, 6:22 AM
Looks great Bruce. I wish I had your level of skill!

Terry Hatfield
01-08-2007, 7:39 AM
Bruce,

Great Work!!!!! I love the pegs!! I could never make a dime at woodworking either. Everything seems to take forever. Thank God I have a real job. :D

t

Glenn Clabo
01-08-2007, 7:47 AM
Bruce,
Just think about the first time you got beside a machine as a machinist to make something complicated. Took longer than the old guy...right? Besides...being a machinist "perfect" is sometimes a time hindrance. However in your case...it sure shows in your work. Excellent work!

Bruce Page
01-08-2007, 2:48 PM
Jonathan, Ken,

Being an ex-machinist, I approach a lot of things differently than most wood workers (which is one of the reasons I’m so slow). I also have a rule that if the part is small and potentially dangerous to my fingers, I will make it as a machinist would, not a WW. These pegs fell into that category.
So, to ramble on a little further…I made the peg blanks on my machine-shop style milling machine. The pegs measured 3/8x3/8x1 with a 25/64x25/64x1/4 head. To cut the diamond shape, I made a 2” square wooden block with a 3/8” square hole in the middle to hold the peg. Then I clamped a couple of boards onto the table of my spindle sander to act as stops. Once I got the stops set right it was a simple matter of inserting a peg into the 2” block and pushing the peg head into the spindle sander drum, rotate the block 90*, and repeat until all 4 facets are done.
I hope this made some sense. I’m a lot better at showing someone how to do something than I am at explaining it…. :o :o

Roy Wall
01-08-2007, 3:09 PM
Jonathan, Ken,

Being an ex-machinist, I approach a lot of things differently than most wood workers (which is one of the reasons I’m so slow). I also have a rule that if the part is small and potentially dangerous to my fingers, I will make it as a machinist would, not a WW. These pegs fell into that category.
So, to ramble on a little further…I made the peg blanks on my machine-shop style milling machine. The pegs measured 3/8x3/8x1 with a 25/64x25/64x1/4 head. To cut the diamond shape, I made a 2” square wooden block with a 3/8” square hole in the middle to hold the peg. Then I clamped a couple of boards onto the table of my spindle sander to act as stops. Once I got the stops set right it was a simple matter of inserting a peg into the 2” block and pushing the peg head into the spindle sander drum, rotate the block 90*, and repeat until all 4 facets are done.
I hope this made some sense. I’m a lot better at showing someone how to do something than I am at explaining it…. :o :o

Bruce....I see it,...........almost....:o But you did angle the pegs just a bit to get the bevel???

Precision work!

Bruce Page
01-08-2007, 3:40 PM
Bruce....I see it,...........almost....:o But you did angle the pegs just a bit to get the bevel???

Precision work!
Yes, I had to play around a little to get the stops set right but once set, the bevel would repeat. The stops were set in a "L" shape and I pushed the 2" block into the corner. The spindel drum was near the top of the "L".

It's really much simpler than it sounds...

"Jason Belous"
01-08-2007, 4:03 PM
beautiful work. the pros do it with a million dollars of equipment and alot less heart, when you put your self into a piece it shows. keep up the good work, look forward to more pics.