PDA

View Full Version : Pics, Variations on Stickley Designs

Dan Oliphant
01-07-2007, 5:08 PM
These were made as a wedding gift for my son, two end tables, and the coffee table. The original design is from the Stickley Furniture products line. Only part of the design I used was their legs. Species is cherry, finish is as follows; shellac washcoat, light brown dye followed by pale shellac. Four coats of boiled linseed oil with four coats of spray lacquer. Finish was rubbed out using a beeswax/linseed oil/turpentine wax.
Thanks for looking.

Jim Becker
01-07-2007, 6:41 PM
Very nice work, Dan. A great gift, too!

Jeffrey Makiel
01-07-2007, 6:56 PM
Nice job Dan. What a great gift!
-Jeff :)

Don Bullock
01-07-2007, 9:15 PM
Beautiful design with excellent craftsmanship.

Dan Forman
01-08-2007, 3:15 AM
Beuatiful, your son is a lucky man.

Dan

Ken Shoemaker
01-08-2007, 4:39 AM
Dan,
That is a great looking group of tablrs. Well Done!!! I too, like Stickley, wright, etc. so this is really interesting to me.... Nice fit/finish. Be proud!!

Mike Cutler
01-08-2007, 7:16 AM
Very Nice work Dan. I like the changes you made to the Taboret Table.

I'm a fan of Mission/Arts and Crafts furniture, but I don't like QSWO's appearance, so I really like the cherry that you used. The finish is excellent also.
Did you have some form of plans or drawings for the coffe table? IIRC Stickley never made a coffee table. None the less, I like your version.

Nice work.

Rennie Heuer
01-08-2007, 7:54 AM
Dan,

Nicely done and a respectful interpretation. A&C is my passion as well and it's nice to see someone improve on a design without loosing the flavor and tradition of the piece.

Rick de Roque
01-08-2007, 9:35 AM
Dan,
Really nice work. Love the cherry and the design. Are the tops veneered or are they solid? If solid are the ends constructed like breadboard ends? Again wonderful work.

Rick

Dan Oliphant
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
All, thanks for the nice comments,

Mike C. I created my own drawings for both pieces, then broke the design down into the individual piece designs for fabrication.
Rick, The tops are solid. The entire perimeter is constructed as a breadboard end would be, the pins are hand turned Honduran Mahogany, function is both structural and decorative.
These pieces will stay in the high desert of S. Ca. for a very long time.The moisture content variations should not be an issue.

Roy Wall
01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Beautiful Dan! Fit and finish is superb!