PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro (with pics)

Mike Murray
01-07-2007, 4:59 PM
I guess it's traditional to do an intro thread. So here goes. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I discovered SMC earlier this year when googling on 'hard maple'. That was the same day Marty started his thread called Birth of a New Shop. I was obsessed with Marty's thread and followed it daily; but over time started looking at other threads as well. I quickly discovered that this is a really nice forum with an unbelievable wealth of information for the hobbyist such as myself.

I'm a 45 year-old father of two teenagers. Employed as a finance manager at a large company in Dallas. I'm originally from the New Orleans area, but I've lived in North Texas for 27 years. I got into woodworking as a freshman in high school when I enrolled in Woodworking I. I loved the class and ended up taking three years (they invented Woodworking III just for me; I was basically a teaching assistant). I built some pretty amazing stuff for a kid including huge PA speakers and a 12' hydroplane. Sorry, no pictures from those days.

Anyway, college… marriage… kids… career… I totally got out of woodworking until about age 35 when my wife bought me a delta contractor TS for Christmas. With just that saw, a router, and some hand tools, I built this computer desk...

That was the beginning of my re-obsession with woodworking. I began acquiring more and more tools and eventually took over three-fourths of a very small 2-car garage. We moved to a larger place a few years ago and I now have a 25X25 garage to myself, with 9' ceilings. I planned this new space carefully including electrical, lighting, dust collection, workflow, etc Here are a few shop pictures, including my latest project, which will complement the bed and desk that I built for my daughter's bedroom. You will also see some 5/4 hard maple that was made into stair treads to replace the carpet on our stairs.

Besides woodworking, my hobbies include music, computers, photography, and spending time with my wife and kids. That's it; just wanted to introduce myself and say hi before I dive in and start asking questions of all you experts. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Mike

Richard Keller
01-07-2007, 5:03 PM
Nice job on the desk!

How do you keep your shop so clean? :) I clean mine endlessly and it is a DISASTER! Maybe if I wasn't re-building 3 or 4 machines all at once, on top of building 5 or 6 or 10 woodworking projects.... (I like to multi-task.)

Richard.

everett lowell
01-07-2007, 5:09 PM
Hi Mike , welcome to the 'creek! nice looking shop, ( I love shop tours!) I think your off to a good start, they love pics around here!:)

Ron Blaise
01-07-2007, 6:06 PM
Nice shop there Mike, wayyyyy too clean though! Makes me dread cleaning up mine. Good to have you with us.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2007, 6:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek Mike! Wade right in the water's fine!

Tyler Howell
01-07-2007, 6:15 PM
Welcome Mike,
Great bunch of folks

Jim Becker
01-07-2007, 6:39 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Mike! Nice looking shop and project!

Liem Tran
01-07-2007, 6:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike. I like your shop setup. My floor plan is very similiar to yours. I had a hard time setting up my equipment. Now that I see your shop maybe it's time to do some rearranging in mine.

I think you'll like it here. (SMC)

Liem

Jeffrey Makiel
01-07-2007, 7:00 PM
Mike,
Welcome aboard!

Your projects (desk and hutch) look pretty darn nice. I like the refrigerator in your shop. Now you have absolutely no reason to go into the house!

-Jeff :)

Tim Malyszko
01-07-2007, 7:08 PM
Welcome. What an awesome shop!!! I envy the space and the neatness.

Joe Mioux
01-07-2007, 8:10 PM
Mike,

Welcome to SMC. As you already know this is a great place. As others have said, I also like these shop tours.

Joe

Marc Prudhomme
01-07-2007, 8:23 PM
Nice set-up Mike
You are an inspiration.I am trying to get my basement ready for my equipment right now.I know it wont be set-up as nice as yours.
Marc

Neil Lamens
01-07-2007, 8:27 PM
HI Mike.........

Excellent intro............like the desk; and your neatness brings out one of the 7 deadly sins....Envy!!

I see you have a pile of something else in the background waiting to be shaped, whittled and wacked into fine furniture.

I find it kinda fun and rewarding here......enjoy!!!

Alan Greene
01-07-2007, 8:27 PM
Mike,
Welcome from another Newbie. I like your shop set-up.
Alan:)

Jeff Cybulski
01-07-2007, 8:37 PM
Mike - Welcome to the waters of the Creek.

Jeff

lou sansone
01-07-2007, 8:39 PM
welcome to the creek

lou

Syd Lorandeau
01-07-2007, 8:43 PM
Mike,
After seeing your shop I got to spend some time cleaning up mine, but how do you produce sawdust and have time to clean up? Besides it it "sawdust" or "wood dust" as one creeker said. Welcome on board
Syd

Karin Voorhis
01-08-2007, 8:49 AM
Welcome here. Very nice computer desk adn thanks for sharing that it was done without every tool in the worl that is helpful to see a nice profesional looking project that turned out great with min. set up expense.

Don Bullock
01-08-2007, 9:47 AM
Welcome Mike. You have a great shop area. I'm planning something like that for my retirement in about two years. Seeing pictures like yours are helping me with my design. Welcome to the creek.

Karl Stewart
01-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Great shop Mike. You'll find SMC's readers' well informed opinions to be quite helpful and considerate. I've saved time and $ by first reading up here and all the natives ask for are pics. Now that's a bargain. I've spent a couple of years on trial and error, and now looking here is [as only Tommy Boy could have said] awesome !

What's that chunk of iron to the right of your drill press?

Karl

Dan Forman
01-08-2007, 2:32 PM
Welcome Mike---I envy the amount of space you have in your shop. Nice setup.

Dan

Jerry LaBelle
01-08-2007, 7:39 PM
Welcome Mike
Nice shop! I also envy the space you have!
Jerry

Mike Murray
01-08-2007, 8:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback. The shop is not really all that clean, although I did tidy up a bit before the photos. But it is organized. I'm a stickler for organization. I believe in putting all tools back in their place and sweeping up before I leave the shop for the day. Makes coming back much more pleasant and productive.

I see you have a pile of something else in the background waiting to be shaped, whittled and wacked into fine furniture.

You may be referring to the 1.75" rough-sawn western red cedar...
I salvaged this from the demolition of a ~40 year-old deck railing in our back yard. It is destined to become patio furniture, low tables and such. I've flattened and planed a few boards and it's amazing how beautiful this wood is after 40 years' exposure to the North Texas elements.

What's that chunk of iron to the right of your drill press?

I guess you're referring to this...
It's a very old Craftsman lathe. Not much iron there really. Pretty basic machine. The identical machine was sold under the Ridgid name for quite a while. It's fairly new to the shop. I don't know much about turning, but I've had a few initial successes. The price was right.... $0.00. It was given to me by someone who had no use for it and knew I was into woodworking.

Thanks again for all the great responses.

Mike