PDA

View Full Version : moen positemp faucet

john bardsley
01-07-2007, 4:11 PM
What is the best method to remove a blockage in a Moen positemp faucet?

Jim DeLaney
01-07-2007, 8:16 PM
What is the best method to remove a blockage in a Moen positemp faucet?

John,
Are you sure the blockage is in the faucet, and not in the aerator? If you've already removed and cleaned the aerator, then you'll have to remove the cartridge from the faucet body in order to clean/clear it.

Depending on the age of the faucet set, you may want to just buy a new cartridge and install it. Moen parts aren't cheap - the positemp cartridge will set you back about $35.00 or so. Still much cheaper than complete faucet replacement, though.

Anyway, to clean out the existing cartridge, you'll need to remove it:

Shut off the water supply.

Remove the faucet handle, and the chrome/brass, etc. trim.

Remove the "U" shaped retaining clip(s) and pull the cartridge out.

Check the O-rings for damage, and remove any build-up you find within the valve body and the cartridge.

Flush the valve body out by slightly opening the water supplies - one at a time - and letting the water push out any debris in the lines.

Re-install/install new cartridge.

Assuming no corrosion or broken parts, it should be about a ten minute job. Otherwise...

Rich Engelhardt
01-10-2007, 7:59 AM
Hello John,
I suggest giving a call to Moen customer support - 1-800-289-6636.

Hands down, Moen has (or at least had) one of the best customer support departments in any industry.
I had to order a backplate for a 20 year old shower faucet last summer. It wasn't cheap, but the support people knew exactly what part was needed & it fit perfectly when it arrived in 3 days.

~ 10 years ago I worked as an onsite tech support (computer) tech @ the main Moen location. Their staff took a great deal of pride in their work, (which is a rareity (sadly) in today's world.).