PDA

View Full Version : Carved bowl

Wolf Kiessling
01-07-2007, 1:32 PM
This natural edge catalpa bowl is 13.5” high by 12” dia. The wood is extremely dry and that made this a very difficult project to carve. I have previously carved a lot of catalpa, but that was always green, so this is a first for me. I can only compare it to carving dry, yellow pine. The grain ridges are hard, the wood in between is soft and it has a bad tendency to splinter. I almost abandoned this project.

Anyhow, this represents the completion of the first phase of carving this bowl. My plan is to carve, on the opposite side, another mandella but containing a wolf head instead of Indian head. Then, on the remaining two quarters, I am thinking of two buffalo herds or maybe an elk head with a buffalo herd opposite. I thought I would put this thing up for public scrutiny at this point because, depending on possible comments that I may receive, I may change my mind about how to go about proceeding with the remainder of the work. I will also admit that the Indian head is not my finest work but I don’t think it is quite bad enough to obliterate. The character of the wood caused me problems to the point where I screwed some of the sculpture up to the point where it is impossible to correct. If I proceed along my current plan, the remainder will not be as difficult as the Indian face.

As you can see, there is no finish on the bowl. The reason for that, of course, is that it is not finished. Provided I do finish this project, it will probably be completed with a couple coats of BLO topped off with some coats of danish oil.

If you feel like commenting, feel free. I will not be offended………….

Maybe sad but not offended……………

Christopher K. Hartley
01-07-2007, 1:38 PM
Glad you stuck with it Wolf, it is beautiful! You are, however, way over my head! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.:)

Christopher Hunter
01-07-2007, 1:38 PM
WOW////
Keep going and you may have to put that thing in a gallery.....
Great job ---
the only thing I would like to see is a bit of color on the face to make it stand out a little more...
but hey that's just a non carver's opinion,,,
Fantastic Job!!!
--Chris

Bonnie Campbell
01-07-2007, 1:44 PM
Wow! That looks fantastic!

Bob Hallowell
01-07-2007, 2:04 PM
That's really nice bowl and carving!

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2007, 3:12 PM
Wolf that is awesome. Nice job.

Glenn Hodges
01-07-2007, 4:00 PM
Wolf, I have never seen catalpa look so good. This is the best one I have seen you post. Thanks for letting us view it.

Fred Ritter
01-07-2007, 4:06 PM
Amazing work Wolf. What part of OK are you in? I've spent extended time in Enid and Altus (courtesy of the USAF) and used to teach penturning at the Woodcraft in OKC.

Wolf Kiessling
01-07-2007, 4:23 PM
Amazing work Wolf. What part of OK are you in? I've spent extended time in Enid and Altus (courtesy of the USAF) and used to teach penturning at the Woodcraft in OKC.

Thank you, Fred..........

I am in Duncan. Been thru Altus many times. Go thru there at least twice a year going to and from the Amarillo show. That show happens every year during the weekend when they put up the Christmas light display in Altus. I told my girlfriend this last time thru that next year we will stop for sure, maybe for the night, and check the display thoroughly. On passing thru it doesn't look like it rivals the Chickashay display but still looks very impressive and worthy of a closer look..........

Bob Noles
01-07-2007, 4:43 PM
Wolf,

Your work is always breathtaking and this one is no exception. The artistic detail you produce just blows me away.

Excellent (another) Job!

Jim Dunn
01-07-2007, 5:30 PM
Another masterpiece from the master. Your work is always beautiful.

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2007, 5:34 PM
Beautiful carving so far Wolf! I like the idea of different subjects on each quarter but I am sure that what ever you decide will turn out excellent! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing the finished piece!

John Hart
01-07-2007, 9:11 PM
As always...very nice work Wolf. I think that a continuation of the project would be a delight for us....although it means you have to battle that wood for quite a bit longer. Hope you decide to complete the original idea...I like it muchly. :)

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2007, 9:35 PM
I'd certainly like to see you continue. Looks fine to me Wolf.

Jim Ketron
01-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Nice Piece Wolf!
Can't wait to see it finished!

Wolf Kiessling
01-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words............

I didn't get the adverse comments about the problems with the Indian's face
that I expected (maybe they aren't as noticeable as I thought, I usually critique my own work rather harshly) so I guess I will continue with the project as planned. It's probably going to take a few more months to get done but when it is, I'll post it.............

Paul Engle
01-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Yea ,like Christopher said ..... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY over my head :eek: , nice work Wolf.

Mike Ramsey
01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
If you feel like commenting, feel free. I will not be offended………….

Maybe sad but not offended……………

That has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen!.....JUST KIDDING:) .
That is a great piece Wolf! You are a Craftsman! I can't even carve
the Thanksgiving Turkey......