PDA

View Full Version : Drying small Blanks????

Christopher Hunter
01-07-2007, 1:31 PM
I have some small wet blanks that I would like to use for pens..(under 1"square and 6" long)
what is the fastest and best way to dry them out???
Thanks for any help
--Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2007, 2:30 PM
Christopher......If you do search you can find a "microwave" technique for drying. I used this technique to dry a roughed out cherry goblet and it worked quite well! Basically you weigh the blank...place it in paper bag and microwave for a period of time....then allow it to cool for several hours. Then repeat the process..weigh.....heat...cool and continue until there is no change in weight. Find the information on it as there have been reported cases of fires started this way. I got little warpage on my wet turned cherry goblet using this method. I was able to dry it over a period of a couple of days that way. Note.....some woods will create a terrible odor and you might end up buying a new microwave. I took my wife's microwave outside on the carport to do it.

Bob Hallowell
01-07-2007, 2:36 PM
I use dna for pen blanks, Depending on the wood I soak the overnight the let the dry fro a couple weeks. But the Austrailain burl I used needed to dry for a month after that as they shrunk.

I have also used the microwave and had success with every thing but... you guessed it the Austrailain burls like Mallee. They cracked in the microwave.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2007, 3:11 PM
I have used both the microwave and DNA for drying. Microwave is faster and the DNA works well if you are not in a hurry.

Leigh Costello
01-08-2007, 12:02 AM
I had come across a cedar burl in the back 40 while clearing an overgrown pasture. Got so excited, I went straight to the basement and cut it up on the bandsaw. Then, being practical and all that, got the food dehydrator off the shelf and hooked it up. Took about 3 weeks to dry turning every few hours and cooling over night. The house smelled like cedar for weeks after. Hubby says maybe use the garage next time. hmph!

By the way, the pens I made were fantastic, but like a dodo, I didn't take any pictures.

David Fried
01-08-2007, 7:00 AM
I've recently starting using Josh's freezer/refridge method. It works!!!

Joe Melton
01-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Woods are different, and respond differently to drying methods. You might try leaving a piece on top of your water heater overnight. I dry some woods in less than a week that way. Other woods will distort or crack with such rapid drying. Never tried the microwave method, since I was never in such a hurry. I invested $20 in a Harbor Freight moisture meter, and never regretted it. It may not be accurate (never compared it against an accurate one), but it does show the moisture content dropping over time. You can hold a blank up to your cheek to get a rough idea of if it is wet or dry. If it feels cold, it is wet.
Joe

Frank Kobilsek
01-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Chris
I've had good luck in the microwave.

Put about 10 in a paper bag.

Nuke on low or defrost for 2 minutes. Notice how warm the pieces get.

Shake up the bag and repeat the nuke cycle 12 to 16 times over the course of a week. 2 to 3 times per day max, several hours apart.

As the pieces dry they will not get as warm. Not scientific but it has worked for me on pen and stopper blocks.

Frank