PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers router plates odd screws

Randal Stevenson
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I picked up a Woodpeckers aluminum plate used for my 5625, as the guy had upgraded to a lift. I went to go mount my router, and found the heads of all the bolts were larger then the plates bolt head openings. I have emailed Woodpeck to see about buying the screw seperate (before I put in my order for the full set of rings, some of their slot nuts, etc), but was wondering, where do you all go, find odd size screws. I haven't had any luck with Mcmaster carr, yet?

Mike Heidrick
01-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Fastenal is a local place. That or the bins at Lowes.

Randal Stevenson
01-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Let's see if I can refraise a bit. The local hardware stores have the typical screws. Head size is approximately twice the diameter of the bolt. The bolts are 5/16 x 18 on the 5625. The typical head size on any of those machine screws is .597, the plate is drilled for a head size of.494. Quite a bit smaller head for that size bolt, not the only place I see that done, automotive does it quite a bit too. Am I looking for a terminollogy to find the correct screw?

Joe Jensen
01-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Let's see if I can refraise a bit. The local hardware stores have the typical screws. Head size is approximately twice the diameter of the bolt. The bolts are 5/16 x 18 on the 5625. The typical head size on any of those machine screws is .597, the plate is drilled for a head size of.494. Quite a bit smaller head for that size bolt, not the only place I see that done, automotive does it quite a bit too. Am I looking for a terminollogy to find the correct screw?

I live in the Phoenix area so I have access to commercial sources as well as retail. Surprisingly, the local ACE hardware stores have the best variety I've found in Phoenix. I'd say they have 95% of what McMaster Carr has. If you have an ACE hardware, try it...joe

glenn bradley
01-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure where-all OSH (Orchard Supply and Hardware) stores are but I can almost always find the odd stuff there. their prices on most stuff keep me from shopping there for general items though.

P.s. Are you saying the standard 5625 plate screws do not fit?

Randal Stevenson
01-08-2007, 1:11 AM
I'm not sure where-all OSH (Orchard Supply and Hardware) stores are but I can almost always find the odd stuff there. their prices on most stuff keep me from shopping there for general items though.

P.s. Are you saying the standard 5625 plate screws do not fit?

The screws in the 5625 are 5/16x18 threads, and 5/8" in length. Their head size is .5745 (according to my cheapy micrometer, used to measure the opening). So that makes them 1/4" too short and .0805 too large for the openings.