PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Turnings

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-17-2003, 8:02 PM
I managed to get some decent Shop time this weekend, and managed to turn a few more Pens and my biggest bowl to date. The Bowl, which is Box Elder harvested at my Folks place, is 10 1/2" x 4 1/2". First time I have attempted a bowl of this size, and I was very happy with the results. Sorry about the Photos, the shop lighting doesn't do this piece of wood justice. So far, I have one coat of Oil on the bowl, and I am deciding how to finish it from here. I will post another picture of the bowl in natural light when finished. The Pens were turned also, and the wood used is, L to R: Walnut, Cherry, some nice wood that Ace Karner was kind enough to send me, not sure what it is, Bloodwood, Purpleheart, and Honduran Rosewood. This Pen thing is really fun, and my Wife is even getting into the act some.............she will be turning her first one this week! Thanks for taking a look!

Brad Schafer
11-17-2003, 8:11 PM
More beautiful work, Kevin. Like the pen 2nd from right. Nice color.

Never believed anything good could come of box elder,

b

Todd Burch
11-17-2003, 10:35 PM
That bowl looks about the right size for a bag of popcorn! Good job Kevin.

Are you selling those pens, or are they destined to be gifts?

Todd.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words Todd, it is very much appreciated. The bowl would be perfect for Popcorn, wouldn't it? Never thought of that. :) These Pens will probably end up as Gifts for family and friends. The Purpleheart Pen is for my Mom...........she loves anything Purple. I have a few local Gift Shops lined up that are interested in selling my Pens, so I am working on that also. I have shown the owners a few of them, and they were all "GaaGaa" over them, so that looks promising. Just what I needed, another Job! :D (At least this one is really enjoyable, and the commute is short!) ;)

John Miliunas
11-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Nice job on all the above, dude! I'd love to get my mitts on some Box Elder! Red isn't normally my favorite color, but it just sets off the rest of the natural wood so nicely in the Elder... So, when's the big sale? I assume that you'll be getting rid of your flat work tools... :D :cool:

Tom Sweeney
11-17-2003, 11:21 PM
I'm stuck in tool sharpening purgatory here :-( & you just keep turning out more & more beautiful turnings. I have more stained box elder than I can shake a stick at but no way to turn it right now :mad:

Have you thought about a way to preserve the red streaks? I've heard of people using armor all, of all things, to help protect it from the UV rays. I've noticed that the logs I left behind (from where I got mine) already have the red streaks turning brown. They're laying at the edge of the woods where they get direct sun for a good part of the day.

Don't tell Ken or anyone else I said this but they might be the nicest pens I've seen yet :D I love the detail you put in the middle of the pens - but that purpleheart one is gorgeous too. Can you ship it to me so I can give it to my wife ;) Your Mom will understand :rolleyes:

Keep up the fantastic work! :cool: