PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi Miter Saw opinions or experiences needed.

Rich Engelhardt
01-07-2007, 8:52 AM
Hello,
This is somewhat of a "closing the barn door after the horse is gone" type of question.
On "Black Friday" - day after Thanksgiving - my wife and I were in Home Depot to pick up one of the $27.00 Rigid shop vacs.
They had their $99.00 10" CMS marked down to $59.00.
Being the sucker I am for what appears to be a good deal, I scarfed one up.

I'm getting ready to use it to cut crown molding for a rehab we're doing on a rental, along with some other work for the same rental - mostly rough framing work.
I set it up and adjusted the fence for square, and it appears to be Ok. Not great, but Ok.
Anyone care to share opinions/experiences? Did I get burned or will this cheapo do a serviceable job?

David G Baker
01-07-2007, 9:00 AM
Ryobi tools are pretty good, just not as smooth and accurate as higher priced tools. I purchased a cheap off brand miter saw from HD last year and it has been ok but I have to check it frequently to make sure everything is aligned. So far I am not unhappy but I have not done any real precision work with it.
David B

Julio Navarro
01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I have both the 10" CMS and the 12" CMS with the lazer guide. I picked up the 12" Ryobi from HD's clearance shelf for $140 (from $199)

The 12" is sturdy and quieter than the 10" CMS, and of course it cuts better having a larger motor. The Lazer is kinda useful but could live with out it.

I used the 10" for almost 3 years now maybe more and it's still in excellent shape except that the electronic break has failed on it (it stops the blade quicker) now the blade takes a while to come to a stop. I have a delta 10" CMS rthat I bought fitted with an aluminum table for cutting nonferrus metals and its built a bit more sturdy than the Ryobi but not by much.

I picket up the 10" Delta at a pawn shop for $45 so your Ryobi for $50 is not a bad deal at all.

Good luck with it.

I wonder if anyone else has bought tools from pawn shops. I have several that I have found for a good price including my 80A welder for under $100.

David G Baker
01-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I purchased a Paslode 350 framing nail gun from a Ebay pawn shop in Nevada for $125+ shipping. I think it was a good deal and the nail gun is in great shape. The reason I bought the gun was because I keep finding cases of nails at garage sales for very little money and the nails cost a fortune if you use a lot of them.
I have no problem buying from pawn shops as long as I know the product and am able to determine the condition.
David B