PDA

View Full Version : To Buff or not to Buff that is the Question!

Bob Hallowell
01-07-2007, 8:03 AM
I made this vase last night out of some 2x3 oak pallet wood. It was punky in alot of place and was a real bugger for me. Anyhoo now that it's done I have put 2 coats of watco on it which still need to dry more.

I don't know what to do next. I am afraid if I beall buff it some chunks might come out or leave some white diamonds in the cracks. Plus I don't know if I want it shiney I might like it satin. If I don't buff do I put more watco on or do I put a satin lacuer or poly on?

Also critic this if you would I would like some feed back.

Bob

John Hart
01-07-2007, 8:16 AM
I really like that form...and the wood looks great. Pallets are made with substandard materials and can really yield some nice turning wood. Nice looking piece!

I've started to get a feel for 0000 steel wool. It smooths things out nicely and leaves a satin finish. Pressure is everything. But then, I really only do it with lacquer. Oil/DNA/shellac, hand rubbed and re-rubbed, also does a nice job.

Glenn Hodges
01-07-2007, 8:47 AM
Bob, when in doubt about the white diamond leaving residue in a piece then do no buff. Seeing that white diamond in a piece like this is enough to make a preacher cuss. Try some hand rubbing.

Mark Cothren
01-07-2007, 8:55 AM
Bob, when in doubt about the white diamond leaving residue in a piece then do no buff. Seeing that white diamond in a piece like this is enough to make a preacher cuss. Try some hand rubbing.

Now Glenn... I've been-there-done-that and I have yet to cuss (out loud)... however, the grass in my yard is dead in several places from where I spit...:D ;)

Bob, that is a nice turning from some scrap wood - excellent! I'd try some method of hand polishing, as John H and Glenn have described.

Mark Pruitt
01-07-2007, 8:55 AM
I'd stay away from the Beall on that one too. A satin finish is fitting for that piece. I'd use the white Scotch-Brite pads. BTW I really like that piece. Nice job!

Paul Engle
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Nice pallet, Bob .. er... vase . How deep did you go and what did you use to hollow it out? I'd leave it and maybe one more really thin coat ( cut 50/50 with thinner) I will be checking our pallet pile(( we go thru about 2000 of em a week , I use to buy for the warehouse now we use a lot of ' chep's ' skids , they dont like us tearing em apart for turning tho:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Bob, really nice form and beautiful wood! Like the others - hand rubbed is the way to go. After the piece has dried you could apply a coat of poly, let it sit for a minute and then wipe it off. Should add a slight protective coat and a satin sheen to it. Then again, looks fine as it is!

George Tokarev
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Standard rouge would leave reddish residue. If you left it. Brushing would take it out, or solvent washing to dissolve the wax/grease that held the white to the surface would also do you some good. I've used rottenstone and wax, which is brownish.

Bob Hallowell
01-07-2007, 2:03 PM
Thanks Guys,
I think I will let the watco dry and try to hand polish it somewhat.
Paul- I drilled a 5" hole with my tail stock so the test tube would fit in.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2007, 3:15 PM
Bob that is a excellent piece. Nice job.