PDA

View Full Version : What's up with PennState

Dave Lehnert
01-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Looking at their web site they have A LOT!!! of out-of-stocks.

Jim Thiel
01-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Odd-enough, They are out of legs too.

I have been waiting on a missing support leg for my DC pre-Christmas. Inventory shutdown I was told beween Christmas and NewYears - no shipping was available. It's been an extra week, they will be getting another call Monday. AWW was slurping them huge in 2003, two of the three DCs recommended were Penn State product. I had also heard the customer support was out of this world. Apparently it has at least left this world. Heres hoping for a safe return.

regards, Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I've never bought from Penn State.....I have no axe to grind or any connection with them.......

I usually buy my supplies from Craft Supplies USA, Packard or Woodcraft. For several weeks before Christmas I was having difficulties getting supplies from my suppliers because they were out of stock. I think a lot of people got turned items for Christmas...JMHO.

Corey Hallagan
01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Fairly typical, esecially at the holidays.

corey

Brad Hammond
01-07-2007, 6:01 PM
i too waited an extra week for some stuff i'd purchased. they said it was due to inventory during the week between xmas and new years, as mentioned before.
as for customer service, i'd screwed up a couple of weeks ago and ordered the wrong bushings. they were kind enough to send the bushings in the mail instead of the standard 6.95 rate.
maybe things will turn around again after the holidays.

glenn bradley
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
In my dealings with them (all positive) I got a real 'mom and pop-shop' feel from them. Maybe something has changed. I would call and ask direct questions. They have always done right by me but, I have not dealt with them in 6 months or so.

Sam Chambers
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I've ordered from PSI several times. While the quality has always been good, I've found customer service and shipping to be fairly poor. I usually order on-line, so I can't comment about their phone ordering process, but with my transactions, shipping was slow, and they don't communicate well.

Jim Thiel
01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Just a quick update - but first let me apologize for my previous post. I didn't intend to "grind an axe". I didn't intend to paint a negative picture.
I called Penn State this morning about the missing support leg (DC2000). I had a nice chat, and after a few minutes it was deternimed the package has not yet left the building. As these things go, it's not the end of the world. I was told that they are 3 days behind shipping.

regards, Jim

Blaise Burry
01-08-2007, 6:40 PM
They have been closed for inventory over the holidays. Just now getting caught up with orders etc.

Larry Crim
01-08-2007, 6:49 PM
I have had several orders from them most are processed in a decent time but the orders 2 orders I made prior to xmas were all processed incorrectly or shipped missing things to thier credit they made good on the missing items quickly. But like above I have had better dealings with craft supply.
Larry

Dave Lehnert
01-08-2007, 8:42 PM
A story about their service. A few years ago I purchased a slow speed grinder from Penn State. It received a best buy award from one of the magazines (I think WOOD) the sharpening jig had one of the three holes misaligned in the table. I found out they drill the holes for the table their at Penn State. They transferred me to the guy in the back who deals with problems. He said “Two of the holes line up so what’s the problem?”

That thing would not make a good door stop. How it ever got an award I will never know.

I got their pocket hole jig a few years back that now sells for $99 for around $60 and think it’s one of the best money spent on tools. So you never know. I am going to order some bowl gouges when they get back in stock but after my customer service experience with them I would have a hard time spending a large amount of money like a dust collector or something.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21939&d=1121917768

Mike Murray
01-08-2007, 9:29 PM
I've made several purchases from PSI over the last several years, including a dust collector, air cleaner, and some lathe accessories and supplies. The quality and price have been fine. But without exception, something has gone wrong with each and every order. Usually missing parts, incomplete order, or slight damage. They always make good, but they are on my "iffy" list. Three for three is all the info I need.

Harry Goodwin
01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Never had any trouble they didn't fix and have never had problem with shipping time. They are my third fastest supplier to my door. Some of the slower folks are your favorites. Harry

Chris Rosenberger
01-09-2007, 9:43 AM
PennState is not the only ones to be out of stock on a lot of items.

thomas prevost
01-09-2007, 12:00 PM
My experience is that their lathe tools are reasonable but not the "branded" quaility. They place items the catalog when contracts are signed over the pond. There are often glitches such as shipping/ import delays or quality issues preventing acceptance of orders. thus, items will be in catologs for months before they are available. Fustrating- wait for indefinate time to get the good buy or seek purchase elseware.

Lou Morrissette
01-09-2007, 12:17 PM
I've made several purchases from them including dust control system and have had nothing but good quality and service. Nothing recently though.

Lou