PDA

View Full Version : Recent Project Complete

Mark Stutz
01-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Finally finished this little box. It is a gift...no, it was not a Christmas pesent:p :D ...for a freind and neighbor who moved away a few months ago and will be coming for a visit.

When I started in woodworking, small boxes of various kinds were my first projects. I had taken a class at Woodcraft, and that was all I was comfortable doing! As time went on I got away from it, but decided this would be the perfect time to use some of the walnut burl veneer that I got at the WW show last year. The box is 7 1/2 by 5 by 2 1/2 inches, walnut, with the top walnut burl, hammer venered with hot hide glue. Finish is garnet shellac. I'm going to need more practice with the shellac!:eek: :mad:

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Roy Wall
01-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice box and nice Burl!!!

All you need is more shop time Mark......

Did you cut the rabbets around the top a la hand tool?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Beautiful box Mark! I'm sure your friend will cherish it!

I'm going to need more practice with the shellac!:eek: :mad:

Thanks for looking.

Mark

And yeah....you need to practice more with shellac so you can mess it up like me!:D

Well done!

Mark Stutz
01-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Roy,
This was a combo project. I usually build these as closed boxes and cut them apart. The inside groove was done with a plow plane, and the box was cut open on the tablesaw. The rabbets were cleaned up with a shoulder plane.

Ken,
What is it about shellac? It seems so easy when people describe it here!:D ;)

Thanks.

Mark

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Mark....seriously....I haven't used shellac on a "flat" project yet but I will soon! I've been using it on most of my turnings...I'm a new turner....I found it to be very easy to use when applied with a brush and frictioned smooth. When applied on a turning project spinning on the lathe, I've got centrifugal force working to my advantage. I've got a couple of ideas about how I'll use it on flat projects. I want to try them before I say it.....IF my theories are correct I'll get back to you. I think that maybe it could be like wiping poly....it has to be thin. Unlike poly, shellac will desolve the coat below and combine the 2nd with the first and so on. I've been using Deft brushing shellac on my turnings. I want to try using it on a flat project...thinning it with DNA and if it leaves brush marks see if I can brush out the brush marks using a clean brush wet with DNA......Just an idea.....I've tried spraying and haven't had good luck spraying anything including keeping my wife's plants alive in her absence!...Too little .....to much....drips.....runs.......Finishing is my biggest hurdle!

Jim Dunn
01-07-2007, 8:55 AM
Mark you shoulda made the trip over and we'd could have done something on the jointer. Don't know what exactly. Looks like you did good without me:)

Steve Wargo
01-07-2007, 9:00 AM
Gotta love that hammer veneering! Nice job on the box Mark.

Steve Clardy
01-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Looks nice Mark:D

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Beautiful work, Mark!! Looks good..

Corey Hallagan
01-07-2007, 12:28 PM
That's a beautiful little box Mark. The burl is gorgeous. Nice job.

corey

Dave Anderson NH
01-08-2007, 7:05 AM
Well done Mark. That's a really nice walnut burl. As for the shellac.... it's the same as the musical joke about how you get to Carnegie Hall...practice , practice, practice. A quick non-technical tip- exercise plenty of patience. I always get drips, runs, edge lines, and other defects when I rush. Work with a brush for the first couple of coats, sand it back with 320 or 400 grit to level it, and then start building the finish coats. I'll show you some tricks next trip- remind me.

Karin Voorhis
01-08-2007, 8:39 AM
What a great box and such a lovely gift. Very nice work on this one. I am thinking some boxes would be anice project after doing some cutting boards.

Mark Stutz
01-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Thganks to all.

Dave,
I'll certainly take you up on that offer. Let's see...when is the next LFOD?:D :eek:

Karin,
These little boxes are great projects for beginners. They let you practice lots of different skills, are small and easily handled, and varieties are endless. I find them a good way to use up small pieces of wood that otherwise go to waste. Also a great way to try and practice new finishing techniques.

Mark

Karin Voorhis
01-09-2007, 7:22 AM
Thanks so much for sharing this Mark. I will be adding it to my todo list of new works in the shop. Thanks again. I love anything that is great and motivating.

Hans Braul
01-09-2007, 8:17 AM
Beautiful work Mark. I love the burl. How were the corners joined? I have just started using shellac on the last couple of projects and have also found there is a knack to it, that I am slowly acquiring. For large flat surfaces I find it's important to really saturate the ball of t-shirt fabric (or cheesecloth) with shellac. I use a plastic squeeze bottle, and 1-1/2 lb cut shellac. Then I do as the articles say - airplanes landing and taking off, being careful not to create drips. As soon as it feels sticky, I squirt more shellac into the cloth ball and go again. Seems to work well. I use 0000 steel wool between coats, then follow up with rubbing wax in with steel wool, then buffing several more coats of wax.

Thanks for showing.

Hans

Mark Stutz
01-09-2007, 6:59 PM
Hans,
Theoretically, that is my technique sa well...I just need more practice.::D The corners are mitered. Although maybe a bit schizophrenic, they were trued on a shooting board, bu reinforced with mini-biscuits!:o ;). Personally, I just don't care for the contrasting cross grain splines.

Mark