PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Resolution Update!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2007, 9:54 PM
My first resolution is ongoing throughout the year and that is using my face shield all the time; had one little slip, caught myself and corrected it. My second resolution was to hook up my HF Dust Collector. Well I got that project started today. Now, I do have some questions about it. As I studied my layout I wondered if I wouldn't be better running my long PVC (10' of 4") lower rather than along the ceiling. I placed it along the back of my work bench which is plenty deep and I will put a shelf over it anyway. My thinking is that less distance for the air to travel means better suction overall. I haven't put in any blast gates as yet but that is in the plan. I will be running the lathe off one fork and my Band Saw and Disk Sander off the other. Thought about including the drill press but not certain as yet. The silver ducting is temporary.:)

Comments and criticism welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Chris, looks like you have a great start.

I know there are charts out there to help determine static pressure losses and most efficient ways to run your ductwork. Don't know how detailed you want to get but the simple version is shortest distance to tool and also want to try and avoid 90* angles as much as possible. I know they have 45* PVC fittings that may or may not be worth the extra trouble it takes to install.

Haven't installed ductwork in my home shop but did hook up cyclone system and ductwork in a shop where I used to work.

If I can be of any help - let me know.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
... try and avoid 90* angles as much as possible. I know they have 45* PVC fittings that may or may not be worth the extra trouble it takes to install.Thanks Steve, I'll change out these 90's for 45's.:)