PDA

View Full Version : new heavy iron in shop

"Jason Belous"
01-06-2007, 8:28 PM
I've had this monster for about a month, I know some of the guys like to see pics of the big old stuff, so here is my new addition to my shop family.

Tom Hamilton
01-06-2007, 8:33 PM
Well, "Jason" whatever it is looks heavy and old. You've satisfied the picture police, now how about a nod toward the detail police.

What is it?

How old?

How much does it weight?

How did you move it?

Is it plug and play or a resto?

There are probably another 100 questions coming at you, but this will get you started.

Thanks, Tom, in Houston, watching the Creek for more info. And hopefully more pics!

Mark Marzluf
01-06-2007, 8:37 PM
Looks like an old moulder, or possibly a straight line rip saw, but I could be wrong.....

Either way, nice find. I've convinced myslef that old iron is the only thing I'm going to buy from now on.

Ever since I got my 1923 12" Fay And Egan Jointer, I've been in hog heaven.

lou sansone
01-06-2007, 8:45 PM
looks like a 4 sided molder

how about a little machine tour
lou

"Jason Belous"
01-06-2007, 8:54 PM
Lou, being the old iron master would be the one to know what he is looking at best, this machine is for flooring, 4 cutting systems, complete floor milling set up and this machine runs like a champ although I will probably need to go back to college to learn how to run it, it weighs way to much not sure of the exact date I am still trying to track it down. Previous owner bought it in 1972 for $21000.00 used which would have been equal to a house evan though I was not born until 1975. I have about 4 pieces of old machinery that are used daily more so than all my new equipment here is the 22" planer. if you are interested in old iron try www.xfactory.com (http://www.xfactory.com) they have alot of vintage gear. I've yet to buy anything from them so I cant speak for the quality but good eye candy

"Jason Belous"
01-06-2007, 9:08 PM
for most of my work I stick to my newer powermatic table saw but this one gets used alot as well don't let the picture fool you this thing is huge.54487 this is an old delta

lou sansone
01-07-2007, 5:44 AM
Lou, being the old iron master would be the one to know what he is looking at best, this machine is for flooring, 4 cutting systems, complete floor milling set up and this machine runs like a champ although I will probably need to go back to college to learn how to run it, it weighs way to much not sure of the exact date I am still trying to track it down. Previous owner bought it in 1972 for $21000.00 used which would have been equal to a house evan though I was not born until 1975. I have about 4 pieces of old machinery that are used daily more so than all my new equipment here is the 22" planer. if you are interested in old iron try www.xfactory.com (http://www.xfactory.com) they have alot of vintage gear. I've yet to buy anything from them so I cant speak for the quality but good eye candy

looks like a newman 600 ..... I would have bought one of them if I had not found my italian 24" machine for a very decent price. looks like a great machine.

Personally I would trade the rockwell 12/14 saw for an oliver 88 if you could fine one.

best wishes
lou

Bill Simmeth
01-07-2007, 9:01 AM
looks like a newman 600....
Does look sorta like a newman, but I think it's a Crescent P-24 from the Rockwell era. Nice machines Jason.

"Jason Belous"
01-07-2007, 9:07 AM
my intention was not to make a trivia game of these oldies, but hey kind of fun ay? Well played Bill you identified the table saw.

Bill Simmeth
01-07-2007, 9:26 AM
my intention was not to make a trivia game of these oldies, but hey kind of fun ay? Well played Bill you identified the table saw.
I enjoyed playing along. But, the Crescent/Rockwell P-24 I was referring to was the planer. The table saw appears to be a Delta/Crescent machine also from the Rockwell era.

"Jason Belous"
01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
the table saw is a crescent as well/ delta. I didn't notice the p24 the first time. but you are correct either way.

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2007, 11:27 AM
That must be the new handy travel size:) Seriously, serious iron

lou sansone
01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
yea its a crescent, but looks like they copied newman for this one.

either way, still a nice planer.
lou

Gary Curtis
01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
For anyone seeking 'old iron' and living on the West Coast, the old Davis & Wells factory has a fair selection. I almost bought an Italian sliding table saw, but it was in 'as is' condition and simply too big a project for me.

Davis & Wells used to make great machinery, but the factory and the name were bought by a lone guy who sells used stuff and putters around. His biggest inventory is large Davis & Wells bandsaws (big stuff) completely restored.

Davis and Wells - Alameda Boulevard, Los Angeles, 323 area code.

Gary Curtis
:D