PDA

View Full Version : square bowl

Stephen Hibbs
01-06-2007, 7:42 PM
I saw someone make one of these, and I figured I had to try one. I didn't rap my knuckles sanding, but it did jump out the big, softer jaws, and slice my thumb good. It's from a piece of teak I got for my b-day. 5.5"W, 2"T, plenty of hand sanding, 1 coat danish oil, and 1 coat minway polyurethane. It reminds me of a turtle. The next one's gonna have 8 legs :D .

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2007, 7:58 PM
Nice looking bowl! Good looking grain and finish! Sorry about your thumb but we all learn the same lessons...

Ernie Nyvall
01-06-2007, 8:25 PM
Very cool Stephen. Nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Stephen, Nice Job, sorry about the thumb!:eek: Ouch, I can almost feel that one!

George Tokarev
01-07-2007, 8:35 AM
Nice. I've taken to cheating a bit on these. I cut them either as a two-mount, where I start them on the pin jaws for the bottom contouring, making a ring mortise for my hollowing hold that's only a bit over a sixteenth deep and an eighth wide. Just enough to get a bit of undercut for my dovetail. I reverse, hollow, then slice and sand the ring off the bottom.

I have these "Power Grip" jaws for three-mount operations. Start on pin jaws, reverse to dovetail, hollow and either put a notch inside or a bead outside the rim if within the grip of the chuck, reversing again to finish the bottom as a turning. With a bit of burn or other embellishment, people never realize that it was a cheat, not a design element.

Either method saves me from having to get things that are square to grip in the Cole jaws, which are a PITA to work with, because you always change the buttons twice on everything, and sometimes they dismount anyway.

Pat Doble
01-09-2007, 9:29 PM
Nice bowl Stephen. Once I can get all of the turning stuff off my table saw (so I can actually square up some wood), I'm going to have to give one of these a try. Great job.