PDA

View Full Version : How much 2 sell it 4

Bill Wyko
01-06-2007, 6:53 PM
Since I'm new to turning I'm curious as to how much some of these peices sell for? solid bowls and segmented ones. I've had people ask me how much I would sell one for and if you look at the time it takes me I'd have to charge a pretty penny or 2.

Sean Troy
01-06-2007, 7:54 PM
I've seen bowls go for as little as 20.00 and as much as 8,000. I've seen a segmented piece go for 50,000. It's what someone is willing to pay.

Bill Wyko
01-06-2007, 8:47 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D I'll be trying more segmenting needless to say.:cool: :D

RL Johnson
01-06-2007, 9:04 PM
I believe the price worked out to about 50 cents a segment.:D

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-06-2007, 9:26 PM
Bill, pricing woodturnings, especially segmented turnings will drive you crazy. After selling my work for about 12 years, I still struggle with determining prices. Interestingly, many of my early pieces sold for approximately $1 per segment. This was not intentional - it just happened. Bottom line is you have to decide what you're willing to accept versus how much you would like to keep it. Don't sell yourself short, but also make sure you're selling a quality product.

John Hart
01-07-2007, 8:08 AM
I give most of my stuff away. I've sold some things..but not many...and not for very much money...But like Malcomb says, Quality is everything. I have it in my mind that the quality of my work really doesn't warrant any kind of a significant price tag....Although, some people see beauty in some pieces and insist on paying for it. Which brings up clientele. It is common knowledge that the caliber of the selling venue will influence the price significantly. You can sell a rock with some moss glued to it at a roadside stand for about 25 cents....but sell the same piece of "art" for $50 at a high end Rock and Moss Show.

Of the vases I've sold....The price has been between $50-$130....Bowls..right around $50. Pens...$25-$65. Keep in mind that I'm not very good and sales are far and few between. But then, I really don't try to sell anything at this point.