PDA

View Full Version : Couple of newby questions

Bobby Perry
01-06-2007, 2:27 PM
I got the new lathe all in but I have been remodeling my shop. I got some wood gave to me but I am not sure what to do with it. It is freshly cut and we have no ideal what kind of tree it is. I am going to take some pictures of it. I have a can of kilz waterbase sealer for indoor. Will that work to seal it with ?

I will go take the pictures now.
Here are the pictures of the new lathe too. LOL

Rich Souchek
01-06-2007, 4:10 PM
Congrats on the lathe, and the wood.
Looks like "dono wood" to me to. The Kilz primer should work ok, it is better than nothing. Here in Houston I just use whatever cheap latex paint is laying around, but then it is HUMID here anyway. Best thing is to get something on right away, to prevent the rapid loss of mositure from the ends of the sections.
Several different kinds of sealer are used normally, one being Anchorseal. I'm sure they do work better than latex paint, but I will apply the latex paint asap because I have it and it is inexpensive. Then the log sections are put somehwere to dry slowly.
How is the new lathe? What have you turned on it yet? Momma got any request for you yet? :rolleyes: ;)
Rich S.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-06-2007, 4:11 PM
I haven used it, but two or three coats should work. I would suggest on the bigger ones, you cut out the Pith and any little radiating cracks.

Bruce

Bobby Perry
01-06-2007, 4:17 PM
Congrats on the lathe, and the wood.
Looks like "dono wood" to me to. The Kilz primer should work ok, it is better than nothing. Here in Houston I just use whatever cheap latex paint is laying around, but then it is HUMID here anyway. Best thing is to get something on right away, to prevent the rapid loss of mositure from the ends of the sections.
Several different kinds of sealer are used normally, one being Anchorseal. I'm sure they do work better than latex paint, but I will apply the latex paint asap because I have it and it is inexpensive. Then the log sections are put somehwere to dry slowly.
How is the new lathe? What have you turned on it yet? Momma got any request for you yet? :rolleyes: ;)
Rich S.I am in Galveston so I know humid lol. I painted them with a real thick coat of Kilz. I didn't have time to cut them up right now but knew I had to put something on them. I have a couple of hackberry trees to cut down in the near furture. I haven't did anything with it yet. Just got everything set up about halfway the way I want it. Now the Boss wants to go out and eat tonight.

John Hart
01-07-2007, 7:20 AM
Nice setup Bobby. I don't know what kind of wood that is either...but the piece in pic #2 with all the branches is going to be a pretty dynamic looking piece. You might want to consider the wall behind your lathe. If you care about it being splattered with every kind of wood moisture and finish known to mankind....permanently embedded for all eternity...you may want to put up a piece of "I don't care what happens to it" plywood or something.;)

Bobby Perry
01-07-2007, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the replys. I have a 4X8 sheet of plywood that goes on that wall.
I talked to the neighbor last night. This tree was one that Hurricane Rita blew down last year. His wife thinks it is a china berry. This was the stump. It(the stump) stood about 8 ft high with the new growth. He already had it cut by the time I got over there.

I have a yard full of Hackaberry. As soon as I learn how to turn I am going to useing up a lot of that. I have several trees that need to be cut.

George Tokarev
01-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Take it up the middle to give it room to contract tangentially on itself and protect yourself from radial splits. Then put one end on concrete, cover the other with a "give a rat's" piece of plywood. Good for a week or two, probably more. If the bark's off any of them, get to those first.

I use a chunk of renewable cardboard or visqueen on the wall, which is less important to me than the tablesaw top in line with the spray on the other side. It's also covered with cardboard and visqueen to catch the puddles. Cardboard can get wet enough to rust the iron in one day's worth of roughs (~6 for me).

Chris LaPine
01-07-2007, 1:00 PM
I agree on the wall treatment. I place a tarp behind my lathe on the wall. It will catch the turnings and guide them down under the lathe. It makes for reasonable clean-up.
Chris

Christopher Hunter
01-07-2007, 1:27 PM
The logs look a lot like the some locust, I've turned recently....
if it is real heavy and turns like nails, then that would be my best guess
--Chris

Christopher K. Hartley
01-07-2007, 1:35 PM
I would suggest on the bigger ones, you cut out the Pith and any little radiating cracks. Bruce Bobby what Bruce says is real important! When I was first told that I didn't have a clue what pith was or how to cut it out. Because I didn't ask for a while, I ruined some good wood. If you arn't sure about something. then just sing out. We're all glad to help. I'm in Spring so if I can help you let me know.:)