PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made

Joe Hall
01-05-2007, 11:42 PM
a tobacco pipe. A buddy of mine wanted to know if I can make him one and I thought it would be a cool project but was interested if anyone had any experience.

Gary DeWitt
01-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Nope. But I'd research what woods were traditionally used by others, so as not to influence the taste of the tobacco with an exotic that shouldn't be used in pipes.

John Hart
01-06-2007, 7:04 AM
A while back, I went through a couple tutorials on pipe making and it looks to be a very satisfying activity. Folks who make pipes generally have done it for a long time, so I expect a long learning curve for me. The key to a successful pipe is in the initial drilling. The blank needs to be drilled precisely so that the parts fit well and the angles are correct. It also need to be mounted on the lathe in three different orientations to complete all the curves. Then there's the sanding and buffing. The guy that I was most impressed with, had several dedicated 1/4 HP motors mounted to his benches, all with different sanding and polishing wheels. He would simply go from station to station to finish off the piece.

Here's a cheat...My local tobacco store will order turning blanks that are predrilled. Just prior to Christmas, the guy said that he was going to order some for me and they'd be in after the beginning of the year. (guess I oughta check in). The briar burls are pretty important too, so I know that I'll be starting with the right wood.

I'll hunt for the tutorial links for you. It's been a while but I should be able find them.

Jim Ketron
01-06-2007, 7:34 AM
I also would like to try my hand at making pipes!
I have been to a few sites and have saved a few in my favorites.
I agree with John precise is the key!

Ron Sardo
01-06-2007, 8:32 AM
I never tried to make a pipe but here is a good link to get you started
http://www.amsmoke.com/

Chris Barton
01-06-2007, 8:33 AM
For the most part, really good pipes are not turned, all are hand carved. Turned pipes then to be the pervue of the discount producer and there was a chain of pipes popular in the 1970-80s that were turned (partially) and machine made. The two most popular woods for pipes are cherry and briar burl (usually the root portion). Truely great briar has few voids (a characteristic common to briar) and a very strait grain. These blanks thend to cost over $100 for a 2 oz piece of the very high quality briars.

Joe Hall
01-06-2007, 9:59 AM
Thanks for the responses, I know most of the high end pipes are carved but I figured this would be something fun to mess around with.

Mike Vickery
01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I know 2 guys that have made them over at a pen turning forum. I looked into it and did not get as much information as I would have liked.

I want to try it someday and am lucky enought to have a pipe makers supply in the area http://www.pipemakers.org/

By the way the lucite and ebonite rods they sell for making pipe stems are also a great pen turning material.