PDA

View Full Version : Jet CTAS-10-1

Andrew Catron
01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I've been looking for a while and enjoy reading the responses from all the seasoned members on the board. I have a question for you guys though. I came across a Jet CTAS-10-1 table saw for $400 (I happen to be in the market for a table saw at the moment and am torn between a portable, contractor and hybrid - all new), but I have no idea of any specs on that machine. I've done some searching on yahoo and only came up with one picture. Any insight would be helpful. Also if anyone has the rigid contractor 3650 that is the other saw i'm considering at the moment.

FYI- i'm currently working out of a 1 car garage with only 110 available out there.

Please help.

Drew

Tyler Howell
01-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Welcome Andrew'
Jet makes some good tools.
The more tool you can buy the happier you will be, longer.
I was never satisfied with a contractor saw (No matter what I did to improve it:o )
Good hunting.

Bill Esposito
01-06-2007, 9:45 AM
I believe it's an older Jet Cabinet 10" saw, 3hp right tilt with Biese or Biese-like fence.

I'd pay 350-400 bucks if it has some sort of T-square style fence and wasn't worn out (bearings etc).

Bill Esposito
01-06-2007, 9:50 AM
here's some more pics with what looks to be a Jet fence. And actually a 10-1 might mean it's a 1hp saw. But I have no idea, I just did a little Googling for you :) Guess you have to go look at it.

http://www.interschola.org/displayitem.php?items_id=3306

Jim Becker
01-06-2007, 9:55 AM
Please note that it appears to be a 3hp cabinet saw.

Google Search results in the following:

http://www.carneymachinery.com/photos/3406.jpg

36" x 27" JET Tilting Arbor Table Saw, Model CTAS-10-1,

Saw diameter 10"
Arbor hole diameter 5/8"
Maximum depth of cut 3"
Maximum rip to right of blade 26"
Maximum rip to left of blade 15-1/2"
Maximum thickness of cut at 45 º 2-1/8"
Table in front of saw blade at maximum cut 12"
Maximum width of dado 13/16"
Table height 34"
Table size with extension 36"W x 27"D
Table size without extension 20"W x 27"D
Overall dimensions (maximum) 40"D x 46"W x 36-1/2"H
Spindle speed 4200 RPM

Equipped with:

3 HP, 1PH, 230 Volt motor with cover
Magnetic, 24V low voltage controls
Fence
Mitre gauge (graduated 30º to 90º with stops at 45º and 90º)
Spanners
Table insert
Splitter with guard
2 extension wings
Dust collector opening

Approx. net weight:............365 lbs.
Approx. shipping weight......530 lbs.

Kent Fitzgerald
01-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Hii, Andrew, and welcome.

If it's a 3 HP saw, as Bill and Jim's links suggest, (A) it's a good deal (if in good condition) and (B) you will need a 240V circuit for it.

Before you let the electrical requirement put you off, consider this: When you say the garage has "only 110 available out there," that probably means that there's a single circuit serving the garage. A TS, even a 120V model, really needs a dedicated circuit. You'll want at least two more circuits for lighting and dust collection. So, if you need to do a wiring upgrade, it makes sense to put in 240V circuit as well.

Just a thought,
Kent

Kurt Loup
01-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I've been looking for a while and enjoy reading the responses from all the seasoned members on the board. I have a question for you guys though. I came across a Jet CTAS-10-1 table saw for $400 (I happen to be in the market for a table saw at the moment and am torn between a portable, contractor and hybrid - all new), but I have no idea of any specs on that machine. I've done some searching on yahoo and only came up with one picture. Any insight would be helpful. Also if anyone has the rigid contractor 3650 that is the other saw i'm considering at the moment.

FYI- i'm currently working out of a 1 car garage with only 110 available out there.

Please help.

Drew

Drew,

The saw sounds similar to mine. I believe the 1 in the model number refers to the phase. Mine is a CTAS-10-3, but the previous owner converted it to single phase. I replaced my Craftsman contractor saw that looked like a clone of the Rigid with the Jet. I'd never go back to a contractor saw over my Jet cabinet saw. If I remember correctly, I paid about the same for my Jet. I replaced the stock fence with the Vega fence I bought for use on the Craftsman. If the saw you are looking at is in decent shape with a nice fence, I'd jump on it at that price.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/images/tablesaw.jpg