PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Seen This??

Gilbert Vega
01-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I just ordered a kit to make one of these.

Seemed pretty neat to me. http://www.smoothturning.com/
Not affiliated to them, just spreading the word.

Keith Burns
01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
He recently joined SMC and posted one of his mugs.

Gilbert Vega
01-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Found his post. Don't know how I missed the first time. Thanks.

Bart Leetch
01-06-2007, 1:29 AM
Pretty cool. I would like to find one with a wide base & narrow top. The narrow bottomed ones tip over to easy.

Lee DeRaud
01-06-2007, 1:47 AM
Pretty cool. I would like to find one with a wide base & narrow top. The narrow bottomed ones tip over to easy.He's just selling the insulated(?) metal inserts, right? Nothing keeping you from flaring out the bottom of your wooden "cover", or adding some additional weight at the bottom.

Jon Shively
01-06-2007, 9:50 AM
Very good point Lee!!! I was originally of the same opinion, "who wants a narrow bottomed cup that is prone to falling over?" And then I get what I deserve for not thoroughly thinking this problem out or thinking outside of the box. You stepped up to the plate and hit a homer with that idea! Now I am prone to give this a try. Thanks Lee.

Bart Leetch
01-07-2007, 1:18 AM
Slaps forehead Duh!!!:eek: Thanks Lee.:D

Ben Werner
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
just goin with the wide bottomed idea... Sounds great on a table or desk but ya gotta make sure it still fits in the mug holderes in cars if you will use it as a travel mug which is its main purpose i do believe. ya dont wanna make a mug and then not have it fit in the car holder! and then be all :mad::mad:
:p:p:D

Charles McKinley
01-07-2007, 3:51 PM
I use my travel mugs in the house to keep the munchkins from making a mess if they knock it over. A wider bottom would help there too. Hmmmmm

So has anyone made one yet????

Bob Opsitos
01-08-2007, 8:47 AM
Just ordered three, one for me, the wife, and the BIL. I'm thinking I'll make mine segmented.

I noticed that the seller provides finished mugs with an epoxy finish (3M Mirror Coat Epoxy ), and I'm thinking this is a good idea.

Anyone know anything about the 3M Epoxy?

thanks
bob