PDA

View Full Version : Odd size sanding belts

Jake Helmboldt
01-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know where you can get custom length sanding belts in small quantities? I need 2"x27" belts for a benchtop sander/grinder. Grizzly is closing out theirs, but I don't want to buy them and find out they are low quality with a lumpy seam.

JH

Joe Jensen
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know where you can get custom length sanding belts in small quantities? I need 2"x27" belts for a table mounted sander/grinder. Grizzly is closing out theirs, but I don't want to buy them and find out they are low quality with a lumpy seam.

JH

Where ever you buy them, be careful not to buy more than you can use within a couple of years. I bought a large qty of sanding belts back when I used to use a belt sander a lot. I went about 5 years without using any, and now every single belt glue seam fails within 60 seconds of use. A chemical engineer friend told me that organic glues use in the belts fail over time as bacteria will actually consume the glue. Sounds like bunk to me, but I'm an electrical engineer who remember nothing about chemistry. Now I've got about 50 belts that are useless..joe

Jamie Buxton
01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
A&H Abrasives. They're actually a division of Woodworkers Supply. The website is www.customsandingbelts.com.

Bruce Wrenn
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Klingspor can also make them for you.

Jake Helmboldt
01-05-2007, 11:15 PM
you guys are fast!

The glue issue was one more reason I didn't want to buy closeouts (in packs of 10) from Grizz.

I emailed Klingspor hoping they will make or have available something since they are not listed on their retail site.

Jake