PDA

View Full Version : Compare Porter Cable Routers

Bert Johansen
01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm in the market for a 3+ HP router for a new router table I built. I have the small Porter cable (690) and the Bosch 1 3/4 HP and both have taken a beating at the table (new bearings required). I need a stout machine! I am leaning toward either the PC-7518 or 7519, but don't know how to evaluate the difference. It seems the 7518 is a 5-speed machine vs the single-speed 7519. The confusion is the pricing is generally higher for the 7519. I thought it would be the other way 'round. Is there an advantage to the single-speed (7519) that I am overlooking?
Thanks!

Jim Becker
01-05-2007, 10:11 PM
You do NOT want a single speed router for your table...the 7518 is the appropriate machine for that if you choose PC. The 7519 single speed is primarily used for industrial work with small cutters...like soapstone fabricating, etc. The reason the price is higher is likely because it's a slow/low seller.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
And look beyond Porter Cable routers. FWW did an good review on routers for use in a table a while back. Try to read that before you make a decision.

Others here can probably chime in with good suggestions.

Mike

glenn bradley
01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
You definitely want variable speed as Jim states. Larger bits (raised panels) slower speed. I run the Milwaukee 5625 and have been thrilled with it. I hear the 7518 and others are great too and have no doubt that they are. You'll get plenty of responses here but you should do a search on this forum for 'router table' or 'best router' for previous threads. That will give you more than you're after. Have fun!

Bert Johansen
01-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks Jim & Mike. Jim, you solved the riddle, and I appreciate your quick reply. Mike, I have the FWW issue and will take a look. I'm not sold on Porter-Cable, but the guys at our local (Austin, Texas) Woodcraft store like the PC.

For the record, I'm not planning on using a router-raiser. I built my table with a hinged top and it is a breeze to change bit height or remove the motor to swap router bits. I know some of the newer routers are designed for above-the-table adjustments. Anybody have strong opinions about a brand that offers a sturdy workhorse?

Jeff Heil
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
I've had a PC 7518 in my router table for about 5 years. It's a solid workhorse. Some of the new routers are worth looking at, but the big PC is a good option in my experience. I have 3 other PC routers and haven't regreted purchasing any of them. The new 800 series 2 1/4 is a nice setup (one wrench bit chages with spindle lock, top mounted switch) and fits the 690 bases.

I have used a friends Milwaukee in his table and that ran some coves in hard maple without blinking. I don't know which model he had.

Good luck!