PDA

View Full Version : New Machinery/Lumber Hauler...finally...

Jim Becker
01-05-2007, 9:16 PM
Well, it's been just over a year since I opted for the more family friendly Highlander Hybrid Limited in lieu of the Tundra Access Cab Limited I previously drove. I started out investigating utility trailers last spring but didn't move on anything at that time. For over the past six months, I was keeping my eye on the used market, but nothing came up that met my requirements. So a few weeks ago, I ordered a Load-Rite (http://www.loadrite.com/Utility_Trailers/21/) utility trailer from a local dealer (about the only time you'd have found me in a fishing store...LOL!) and took delivery this afternoon.

It's 5'x8', 2600lb GVR/2130 lbs payload and a tilt-bed format. It's totally galvanized, rather than painted. I originally intended to get the 5'x10' version, but the skyrocketing cost of steel raised the price above what I was willing to pay at this point. No problem...this will do quite nicely. (And it will handle the heavy piece of machinery that I'm planning on moving into the shop in the recent future--I can pick up at the freight terminal and get the tilt bed right inside the shop doors to unload)

54394 54395

Cecil Arnold
01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Jim, nice trailer, but I don't see any tie downs. Wouldn't want that nice piece of soon-to-arrive equipment slipping off as you drive down the highway.

Tyler Howell
01-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Congrats on the new hauler. I know you miss the Tundra.
Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Will it Carry the diesel operated orange crow bar:confused:

Bruce Page
01-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Very cool Jim. There have been many times that I wished I had a small trailer. Unloading my 15” planer from my PU comes to mind! I can't tell from the picture, are their provisions to allow you to build side walls for it – alla stake bed?

Bart Leetch
01-06-2007, 1:17 AM
Does it have brakes?

Dennis Peacock
01-06-2007, 8:58 AM
Does it have brakes?

Sure it does Bart. That's the job of the thing in front of the trailer. :p :p :D

Jim,

Nice trailer and you'll like the shorter length when in busy parking lots and you'll wish for longer length when you visit the lumber store. :rolleyes: ;)

Jim Becker
01-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Does it have brakes?
No, Bart. Dennis has it down cold! Brakes on the trailer would add considerably to the cost and given the normal low weight of things I'd carry, not worth adding hundreds of dollars. Slower speed and care in the rare occasion that I have something heavy on it will have to do.

Will it Carry the diesel operated orange crow bar

I could put just the tractor on it sans any attachments but it's really not big enough in both length and capacity. My 'Bota technically requires a 3500 GVR trailer with dual axles, brakes and at least 12' of length with 16' preferred for best travel results. The machine with the FEL and BH comes in at around 2600-2700 lbs. Thousands to buy that kind of trailer...this one was only a grand. But I really don't have a need to transport it...my dealer's service department uses roving technicians that come to the property of the owner, rather than clogging up bays at their facility. The 1/2 hr travel charge is less than it would cost to have someone transport a machine on a roll off. A 3500 GVR tailer would also be right at the limit for my tow vehicle...which is 3500 lbs.

I can't tell from the picture, are their provisions to allow you to build side walls for it – alla stake bed?
There are stake pockets allowing me to either build or buy. The only reason I didn't order the aluminum rails with the trailer was to keep the intial cost down...I'll be picking them up in a month or two. They are not expensive ($145) , far stronger than wood and don't entail time to build...something I don't have. (They are also stackable if you buy more than one set to have high walls for moving hay or something like that, although that's not something I'd do. The extra sets are $100 each)

but I don't see any tie downs
In addition to the stake pockets, I'll be adding additional tie-down points...I need to look things over carefully today to plan for that. It was pouring rain when I brought the thing home yesterday. I also need a straight receiver bar for towing behind the Highlander...the one I had in the garage from the Tundra has too much drop for level hauling. It was fine for bringing it home, but not appropriate for towing normally.

Mark Singer
01-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Jim,
That is great to have....you will use it very often, I know!

David Wilson
01-06-2007, 4:58 PM
Jim

I expected to see a H3 attached.

Jim Becker
01-06-2007, 5:43 PM
I expected to see a H3 attached.

Nope...we're a two hybrid family.

Matt Meiser
01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Looks good. I highly recommend sides. Mine are 5/4x6 PT lumber stacked three high. That give a nice height to keep stuff in, but not too high that they aren't strong.

Joe Mioux
01-07-2007, 8:20 AM
Jim:

congratulations on the new trailer. A few years ago my neighbor gave me his old 4x8 trailer. they are very handy. I hook mine up to my ATV and use it as a large garden cart for yard work. You will find all kinds of uses for it around your property.

You will be happy going with the 5 ft wide model as the 4 wide model does have some limitations.

Again Congrats
Joe

Jim Becker
01-07-2007, 1:45 PM
You will be happy going with the 5 ft wide model as the 4 wide model does have some limitations.

Yes, that was one of the specs that was hard on my list from the beginning. I do wish I could have gone with the 10' model, but with steel approaching the price of "gold"...it just wasn't in the cards.
----

Matt, I will have sides for it, but didn't need them for the initial usages. In fact, moving the machine that will be the first big job will be best without them. I did add a few additional tie down points yesterday between coats of shellac on my vanity project.

Von Bickley
01-07-2007, 9:51 PM
Jim,

Looks good... Should work well for your needs.;)