PDA

View Full Version : question about clearance on Epilog

Thad Nickoley
01-05-2007, 8:34 PM
I have heard that you can take off the auto focus and the metal air delivery tube to gain clearance for a project. i have an Epilog mini 45. I need to clear 3/4 inch. Looks like it would make it with the mentioned items removed.

Thank you!!

Bruce Volden
01-05-2007, 9:26 PM
Yes you can. My air assist tube was removed within a couple of months of purchase just for said reason! Auto focus??? what a joke! I prefer manual focusing / de-focusing (glass). My air assist solenoid quit working the first week I had the machine. I now use a small dedicated air compressor and some silicone tubing for cut jobs.

Bruce

Thad Nickoley
01-05-2007, 9:39 PM
Thanks, how do they come off. it looks like there may be a set screw on the auto focus. the air tube though, cant tell.

Nigel Morgan
01-06-2007, 7:21 PM
Hello,

I have a 45w Helix, I remove the autofocus all the time, the small screw is just to lock the plunger device, slacken it slightly and then unscrew it, there is a small spring iside it so look out.

Cheers

Nigel

Carol VanArnam
01-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Nigel- why do you remove your auto focus. What would cause you to need to do that? I have a helix and I've never removed it so i'm wondering what i'm missing.....

Frank Corker
01-07-2007, 7:03 AM
I too have a Helix and have not had the need to remove it, but there are occasions when it could be necessary, such as engraving into a recess where the lens focus needs to be the required distance. If the auto focus remains on it cannot go over the recess without knocking the work piece out of position. It's a shame that the autofocus isn't something that just drops down when you need it instead of being a rigid item that can catch the work piece as it does now.

Removal is as described above by Nigel

Nigel Morgan
01-07-2007, 5:02 PM
Hi All,

I produce 3D scale model maps of New Zealand, the relief heights are about 8mm, I engrave the place names (cities) around the coastline, hence I remove the autofocus, or the mountain tops would be damaged.

Cheers

Nigel

Thad Nickoley
01-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I need to enrave on a piece that has a 3/4 inch piece of wood on top of the surface to be engraved. does anyone know how to remove the metal air assist tube.

Jason Lippert
01-09-2007, 2:03 PM
The air assist removal is actuakky pretty easy, I did it by accident myself.
Turn the tube back and forth with slight pressure down, it should pop right out. I would do this with the lens assembly taken off.

Jason Lippert
01-09-2007, 2:04 PM
The air assist removal is actuakky pretty easy, I did it by accident myself.
Turn the tube back and forth with slight pressure down, it should pop right out. I would do this with the lens assembly taken off.