PDA

View Full Version : Tables completed

Ken Werner
01-05-2007, 8:31 PM
Here is one of the pair of tables I posted some days ago whilst still underway. I'm happy to report that they're done. The tables are matched, but for now, will go in different places in my home.

Jim Becker
01-05-2007, 8:34 PM
Those are lovely, Ken. Truly nice work.

Mark Singer
01-06-2007, 1:29 AM
Ken,
N ice work....very well done!

Martin Shupe
01-06-2007, 1:33 AM
You have excellent taste, Ken.

Are your legs one and a half inches sq. or smaller?

Beautiful execution!

jonathan snyder
01-06-2007, 2:26 AM
Very nice Ken

I'm working on a similar two drawer table. I wish my dovetails looked as nice as yours!

Jonathan

Geoff Irvine
01-06-2007, 6:43 AM
Hello Ken - very very nice tables. I was wondering about your proportions especially the placement of the shelf - what were your design criteria for this?
Once again excellent work- hope you have signed it somewhere for posterity.

Hans Braul
01-06-2007, 6:50 AM
Nice work Ken. Beautiful dovetails and good clean lines. What's the finish? What wood are the drawer sides?

Thanks for showing.

Hans

Steve Wargo
01-06-2007, 7:23 AM
Very sharp Ken, Nicely executed. Fine craftsmanship.

Ken Werner
01-06-2007, 8:46 AM
Thanks to all. Here's the answers to your questions.
Legs start out at 1 3/16 square, run square for about 10", then taper on the 2 inside edges to 3/4.

To plan dimensions and proportions, and to place the shelf, I used a full size drawing. I decided on the drawer, and the pieces above and below it, then allowed for a space about 1/2" bigger than the drawer. This would be similar to figuring out how to make a lower drawer a bit taller than an upper.

The tables are signed, with a paper label, and yes, I hope someone does see them long after I've gone.

The finish is a couple of brushed on coats of minwax quick drying oil based poly, satin, followed by several coats of minwax wipe-on poly, also satin, then a coat of liberon wax.

The drawer sides are pine. The drawer slides are simply a piece of cherry glued and screwed to the inside of the apron, on which the drawer sits.

Oh and PS, the DTs look better in the photos than they do in person. But thanks anyway.

Best wishes to all,
Ken