PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather Clock Finally Finished !!!

Ben Roman
01-05-2007, 8:02 PM
Hello all,
This is my latest accomplishment. This is a klockit kit that I purchased a couple of months back, more like 6 months but who is counting. Some assembly required but it was a good experience. I used Transtint Dye on the ash wood. I then applied a coat of BLO. I let it dry completely and then used Minwax wipe on poly. Wiped on about 5 coats. The last 3 coats I sanded with 0000 steel wool in between applications. The wipe on poly is so easy to use I am sure that i will be using this method for a while. Mounting and tuning the movement is a challenge and plan on spending the better part of a day tuning it.

Ok gimme the feedback good and bad.

Ben Roman

Jim Becker
01-05-2007, 8:20 PM
Very nice, Ben. That's one of particular the mission designs I happen to like, despite my affliction (!) for things Shaker! That clock will be a wonderful family heirloom, too.

Mark Hulette
01-06-2007, 6:37 AM
Ben- Nice work. Looks like it goes well in it's setting.

When you say it was a kit, what was included in the kit? Plans, movement and wood?

Looks like a nice 'dye job', too! Thanks for sharing.

Mike Hill
01-06-2007, 8:49 AM
Ben: Great job and I am sure it is appreciated by the family. Hope to get a real look at it one of these days. I just finished an Oak Toy Box/Blanket chest in a similar design. Have to stain and finish it, but will post in a few days.
Mike

Pete Bradley
01-06-2007, 9:11 AM
Nice job!!

I'd be interested in seeing a close-up of the dyed ash.

Pete

Karin Voorhis
01-06-2007, 9:14 AM
Very nice clock! you can the that all the time you took with care and thought. I was worth the wait!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job....

Don Bullock
01-07-2007, 9:32 PM
Excellent clock - nice desogn. A clock like that has been on my "to do" list for many years. Some day I'll actually get down far enough on my list to make one. Congratulations on building yours.

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Very nice work...Looks good.

Terry Hatfield
01-08-2007, 7:41 AM
Ben,

Nice job!!! It will be a true family heirloom I'm sure.

Terry

Tim Brooks
01-08-2007, 7:51 AM
I have been looking at Klockit for the last couple of months and am seriously considering building one of their kits as a steping stone to actually building one from scratch. How were the plans? Any downfalls, problem areas? Anything missing from the kit? Tell us about the quality of the hardware.

Here is the one I was looking at building frist: http://www.klockit.com/products/product.aspx?sku=34318

Ben Roman
01-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I have been looking at Klockit for the last couple of months and am seriously considering building one of their kits as a steping stone to actually building one from scratch. How were the plans? Any downfalls, problem areas? Anything missing from the kit? Tell us about the quality of the hardware.

Here is the one I was looking at building frist: http://www.klockit.com/products/product.aspx?sku=34318
Tim ,
The only problem was after I finished the clock I still had not opened the boxes for the glass and the weights for the movement. The weights were missing and one of the glass packs was broken. I called customer service and they said you have 30 days to report damage or missing items. I had to buy the weights and the glass piece from them. Be sure to check your order carefully. As for the quality it is top notch all the ash was matched and the movement is top of the line Hermle. Lots of docs to get you through it. I did not get the plans with the clock but I got assembly instructions. I learned alot from the kit.

Ben

Ben Roman
01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Ben- Nice work. Looks like it goes well in it's setting.

When you say it was a kit, what was included in the kit? Plans, movement and wood?

Looks like a nice 'dye job', too! Thanks for sharing.
Mark,

Yes everything is included. Wood, Movement, Hardware, Cloth, and Screws, nails, and even a couple of little drill bits. The only thing you need to provide is the finishing supplies.

Ben

Ben Roman
01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the support and kind words.

Ben

Kevin N Brown
01-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Nice clock.
I'm almost done with the Mission Wall Clock. I got the plans and hardware, the plans were complete and the hardware was all there and nothing broken, the mistakes were all mine.