PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Jigsaw...Top handle or barrel grip?

John Shuk
01-05-2007, 4:40 PM
I'm planning on buying a Bosch Jigsaw. Either 1590 (top handle) or 1591 (barrel grip). Any input on what you like about either style would be appreciated. I could save a few bucks buying top handle version so it is a consideration.
Thanks folks.
I can get the 1591 for about $175.00

glenn bradley
01-05-2007, 4:48 PM
I have the 1591 and chose the barrel grip specifically from test driving each type of saw but not the particular saw. This is going to be a personal preference decision I believe. I have average sized hands but a bum elbow. The more open grip and 'closer to the surface' hand position is more comfortable for me and therefor gives me more control.

The top handle has a trigger switch which I prefer but I have found the barrel grip to be very serviceable, for me. I wouldn't pick one over the other with a price difference close to the cost of breakfast at Denny's. :D

Bryan Somers
01-05-2007, 4:49 PM
John I chose the top handle. I have held both and liked the top handle better it felt better in my hands but my hands arent very big either. The blue borg here has the 1590 for $150.00 but I had a 10% HD coupon and got them to do a price match.

I would suggest to handle both and go with the one that feels best in your hands.

terry hansen
01-05-2007, 4:50 PM
I had an old Cman top handle and went with the Bosch barrel after reading some good comments on it. Besides being a much superior saw, I have found the barrel to be easier to use both in holding and manipulating. The only reason I could come up with for not buying the barrel grip would be if you had small hands as it does take a larger hand to get a good grip.

I'm sure you'll like either saw as it really is nice to use and the blade changing is pretty quick , once you've done it a couple times.

Ted Baca
01-05-2007, 4:52 PM
I have the top handle Bosch and have had it for years and 90% of the time I use it I curse myself for not buying the barrel grip. I think the barrel grip would give me more control than the top handel does. The thing is if you look at the design Bosch could have made it both with a removable top handle. It is the same machine with the handel added. I think they are missing the boat here or maybe selling twice as many....

Rob Bodenschatz
01-05-2007, 4:54 PM
Personal perference. Try it yourself.

Only thing is the trigger switch. Not having one on the barrel grip scares me. One of these days I'm gonna drop the thing while trying to find the on/off switch & it's gonna bite me. I just know it.

greg Forster
01-05-2007, 5:27 PM
I like the barrel-grip. I get better control and more effective down pressure

Mike Monroe
01-05-2007, 5:32 PM
I see this as a personal preference decision, comes down to which feels best in your hand. I wouldn't expect any difference in performance between the two. FWIW, I've had the barrel grip for some years now and like it just fine.

-Mike

Jim Becker
01-05-2007, 5:46 PM
I prefer barrel grip and that's what I chose when I bought my current one. If you have the opportunity, try both and see what is most comfortable for you.

Ken Garlock
01-05-2007, 7:48 PM
One more vote for the Bosch barrel grip. My daughter got me one for Christmas, and it is a joy to use. Blade changing is almost fun, it is so easy.

Jeff Naylor
01-05-2007, 8:43 PM
I have the Festool, but I much prefer the barrel grip. I feel like I'm much closer to the work and have a lot more control.

nic obie
01-05-2007, 9:04 PM
I like the top handle only because I've had it for well over 10 years now and it still works like it did when it was new.

Get the barrel handle style like Jim recomended if you don't care about a couple extra bucks :D :D and it not being field tested for such a long period.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
with a barrel grip that had a bottom mounted lever switch for variable speed. From the color I would guess it to be either a Bosch or a Makita. I thought that was the neatest scroll saw (excuse me, jig saw) I ever had my hands on. I am surprised that Bosch doesn't add this type switch to the barrel grip.

Allen Bookout
01-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Personal perference. Try it yourself.

Only thing is the trigger switch. Not having one on the barrel grip scares me. One of these days I'm gonna drop the thing while trying to find the on/off switch & it's gonna bite me. I just know it.
Same here. I like the 1591 very much except that I do no like where the switch is. It is hard for me to reach it with my thumb. If the switch was like Don Henthorn is describing it would be perfect. Because of the switch type and location I might prefer the top handle 1590. Like others have said I guess that it is just personal preference.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I've used both and bought the top handle because it felt more comfortable to me. You will like either one. Trust your instincts if you can't try each.

Doug Shepard
01-06-2007, 8:08 AM
This is something you're just going to have to feel for yourself. I ended up with the handle grip after about 1/2 hour in the store holding both types. I've got large hands but the barrel grip just seemed to point towards more hand fatigue for me. I also preferred the trigger switch, but it was primarily hand comfort that made my decision. This is like the paper/plastic or boxer/briefs decision - which one makes more sense or feels better for you?.

John Bailey
01-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Either one will be a great choice. I chose the barrel grip because I felt it gave me more control. I would agree, however, that the switch could be in a better place. I would suggest looking at the Bosch factory sight for rebuilts. I've bought a number of their products their and have been very satisfied. Warranty is the same a new. http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned_tools

John

Mark Singer
01-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I have the top handle and I seem to have good control...I do like the barrel also , but have never used it

Charles Wilson
01-06-2007, 4:19 PM
I have the barrel grip and it cuts like a hot knife through butter. Grip is a matter of preference. I like the barrel grip because I fell like it has more control.

My .02.

Regards,
Chuck

Mike Cutler
01-06-2007, 6:38 PM
I like the barrel grip, but it's really going to come down to the size of your hands.
I have long guitar player fingers, and hands so I can wrap my hands around the barrel and have a lot of dexterity. You'll just have to try both, and like Goldilocks, find the one that is "just right".

Lee Schierer
01-07-2007, 7:49 AM
When I bought my new jig saw, I chose the Bosch barrel grip. On my old B&D saw I found I was gripping it by the body more than the handle for contriol. The Bosch Barrel grip is better in my opinion for that reason. You can turn the saw on and off with your thumb and the variable speed dial can be adjusted with the free hand if necessary. Either one should be a good choice and you will love the cutting of this saw. With the T234X blades you can get cuts nearly as smooth as a table saw for straight or very large radius curves.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-07-2007, 12:21 PM
I had both types (makita)
I liked the barrel best
But the D handle unit was heavier duty.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-07-2007, 9:55 PM
Today I saw a new 1590 for sale on Austin Craig's List for $115. Had extra blades and supposedly never been used. Number 258947107 if anyone is interested. I don't need one or I would jump on it.