PDA

View Full Version : Miller Dowel System

Bryan Somers
01-05-2007, 3:53 PM
I was wondering how many of you have used these and what you thought of them? I have been thinking about trying them and the Greensboro Rockler store is closing their doors, everything is 40% off and they still have a good selection of these dowels and drill bits in the store.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10483

They look very easy to use and seam to add a nice touch to the piece. I remember some of you have talked about how difficult some doweling jigs are to get accurate. Your opinions are appreciated.

Craig Stueve
01-05-2007, 4:56 PM
I just used the Miller 2X Miller Dowels on 3/4" plywood mobile cart that holds my Performax drum sander. They are the only mechanical fasteners that I used. The rest of the construction was just dados & glue. The things that surprised my about them is how easy they are to use and how incredibly strong the joint seems to be that they produced. I will definitely use them again and will probably invest in the mini version at some time.

At 40% off I would take a shot. If after you try them you decide that you don't care for them I think you would easily be able to sell what you have not used and get your money back.

Craig

Greg Cole
01-05-2007, 5:08 PM
Bryan,
I've used Miller Dowels for some structural applications and some as much decorative as structural. For example I've have used them to attach a cherry face frame to a birch plywood carcass and also for attaching the mitered skirt on the table top. It's a very easy way to get some contrast with the options of wood species available. I used maple dowels with the cherry as the cabinet doors on the carcass are cherry rail & stile with a maple panel.
A couple of my shop cabinets are made with handfulls of dowels too... they were quick, strong and easy. I've now slipped on the Neander slope and am working on handcrafted joinery.
I also have soaked some of the red oak ones in "ebonizing" compound and they came out pretty close to the real thing.

Another $0.02 contribution from a creek newbie.

Greg

Al Willits
01-05-2007, 5:30 PM
Seem to work pretty nice and if ya make sure to clamp the wood before ya drill the hole, they make very nice joints.
I kinda like using different colored plugs and making a bit of contrast.

You get it for 40 off and don't like it, let me know....:)

Al

Joe Unni
01-05-2007, 5:59 PM
Bryan,

I've driven pretty close to 1000 Miller dowels for several different applications. Basically, they're like using a wooden nail.

- mark out your holes
- clamp the work
- drill the hole
- blow the chips out of the hole (using a basketball filler needle on the end of my compressors air gun works great) BTW - if you don't blow out the holes you risk getting the dowel stuck or damaging the joint itself as the tolerances between the dowel and the hole are pretty tight.
- apply a thin film of glue (too much glue can cause damage as well) on the ribbed part of the dowel
- drive the dowel home until you feel/hear it seat

That's it!

At 40% off, I'd get a bunch.

Good luck,

-joe

Bryan Somers
01-05-2007, 6:53 PM
Thanks for those tips Joe I may not have thought to use an Inflator needle

Aaron Beaver
01-06-2007, 6:15 AM
I have made several projects using only Miller Dowels. Where ever the plan called for screws (except hinges of course) I used these dowels. I have used both the 1x and mini dowels. Like AL said they give a nice contrast to work if you want them to or they can blend in to not be so noticable.

Don Bullock
01-07-2007, 9:38 PM
I've been thinking about trying them on one of my current projects. Wish the store close to me had them for 40% off.