PDA

View Full Version : Pigging dust collector lines

Phil Harding
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Recently I've noticed a fall-off in the performance of my dust collector system. I suspect there may be a blockage in the main run (6 inch reduced down to 5 inch near the end of the run) since the drop-off seems to be at all stations. My system is spiral metal pipe with 4 inch drops to all stations. Of course, when I put this system in I didn't have the foresight to put in clean-outs so there is no easy way for me to inspect the lines. My collector is only a 1.5 HP unit, but I expect to upgrade to a 3 HP cyclone in the not-too-distant future.

I have two questions:

1. How difficult is it to go back and add clean outs?
2. Short of disassembling the system is there a way to pig the lines to break-up a blockage?

Thanks in advance.;)

-- Phil

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Phil.......How long is your main run?

There are brushes available for cleaning stove pipes and flues that would work. I'm sure they are expensive. You could make your own and use something like 1/2 PVC with screw connectors to make a handle that you could extend by screwing on another piece. The flexibility of pvc would be a boon for any minor curves that might be in the ductowork. I'd go to the last drop in the line...remove that drop and brush back towards the dc. ALL THIS WITH THE DC OFF, OF COURSE.

George Summers
01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I suspect there may be a blockage in the main run (6 inch reduced down to 5 inch near the end of the run) since the drop-off seems to be at all stations.

2. Short of disassembling the system is there a way to pig the lines to break-up a blockage?

Thanks in advance.;)

-- Phil

I would suspect an air leak somewhere before your first drop. Any blockage would not effect the air flow before that blockage.

If you really think it is blockage, I would just go along the system (and especially at the joints) with a broom handle and bang against the wall some. Unless it's wet, sawdust should come loose easily with the banging.

George

Rick Lizek
01-05-2007, 12:13 PM
http://airhand.com/product.asp?CategoryID=2&SubCategoryID=0
Access doors are pretty easy to add anytime.

Greg Funk
01-05-2007, 1:57 PM
One option would be to attach a 3" wiffle ball to a string and let it into one of the dust collector inputs. If that goes through all the pipes back to the dust collector you could try a couple of larger sizes.

Greg

Kent Fitzgerald
01-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Just a guess, but I suspect dirty filters are more likely than plugged ducts.

Dan Gill
01-05-2007, 2:51 PM
ALL THIS WITH THE DC OFF, OF COURSE.

Man, you spoil ALL the fun!:D

Luciano Burtini
01-05-2007, 6:42 PM

-- Phil

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2000/pipeline_hearing/pig3.jpg

Phil Harding
01-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Just a guess, but I suspect dirty filters are more likely than plugged ducts.

Well, I'm embarrased to say it but you are correct. I cleaned the filter cartridge and suddenly the system is performing as well as ever. I was very surprised by how much material came out of the filter.

Thanks for all the great rsponses.

-- Phil