PDA

View Full Version : "PlungeLift" anyone?

John Miliunas
11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Having sold my old Delta TS, so went both of my built-in router "tables". So, guess what? Yeah, gonna' have to build something. I'm planning on doing something on the tail end of my outfeed table, which I need to build, anyway. In the past, I used my M12V for the task and was satisfied with the performance, so I think that's what I'll stick with. This time, though, I would like to upgrade the system as a whole. I've been looking at the different router inserts and I think the "PlungeLift" from Woodpecker might just fit the bill. It's kind of middle-of-the-road as lifts go, but looks like a nicely engineered piece. Anybody out there using one of these? If so, care to comment? As always, appreciate any and all input! :cool:

Paul Kunkel
11-16-2003, 11:16 PM
:D Hey John, I have an old TR12 (non Variable speed) that i put a 'Router Raizer' on that resides on the far right of my table (59" from the blade) and feel it was the best buy. Took a trashy router and made something useful out of it. The thing is great - 1 full turn of the crank= 1/16" and I built dust collection intom the fence on the off side.

Scott Coffelt
11-17-2003, 10:21 AM
I have the same set up of M12V and plungelift. It works great, I did remove the springs int he router to help with the movement. Get yourselve a bent wrench and changing blades is easy. Nicely built and will not sag.

Byron Trantham
11-17-2003, 10:44 AM
John, I don't have the PlungeLift but I do have the PRL. They are very similar. The engineering is outstanding. I like Woodpeckers. They are very helpful and I think that if you decide to "take the plunge" [couldn't resist], you won't be disappointed.

Jack Diemer
11-17-2003, 11:20 AM
I have the plunge lift also, picked it up scratch n dent off Woodpeckers for $129 (scratched on the top). Took about ten minutes to put together. Works great. I would have scratched it up the 1st time I used it anyway with my luck.

David Rose
11-17-2003, 11:21 AM
John, I don't know the cost, but have you seen the ads for the new PC 690 router? I think that is the model anyway. It is in this months FWW for one place. It sounds like PC took the Triton's features and built a new router. I suspect that you can buy it for what most lifts cost. The collet raises above the table for bit changes, it locks when up for one wrench changes, switch block in that position, and it has above the table wrench adjustment and height lock. The HP is 2 & 1/4.

This isn't what you were asking, but it's a thought.

David

David Rose
11-17-2003, 11:34 AM
That new model is the "890" series. But PC doesn't do a bit hype on it at all on their web site. Maybe it's not as new as I think. I hadn't seen it before though.

David

JayStPeter
11-17-2003, 11:34 AM
I've got the Plungelift and M12V. I haven't seen another router table insert that I like better than the Woodpeck versions. The Plungelift works great, and bent wrench makes life good. Two thumbs up.

Jay

Ed Falis
11-17-2003, 2:42 PM
John,

I've got the Veritas top, fence and bit jack on a home-built stand. Works very well. The bit jack makes it easy to do either large or micro adjustments, and you can also do incremental cuts using a foot pedal with the jack set to stop at the final depth.

I'd send a picture, but the camera is away right now.

- Ed

Mike Sweat
11-17-2003, 4:25 PM
I have the plunge lift from Woodpecker with an M12V, toward the top of its lift it gets a little stiff, but I still have the springs in the router. I would like to try out one of Woodpeckers new Uni-Lifts.

John Miliunas
11-17-2003, 10:09 PM
OK, gentlemen. Looks like the PlungeLift gets a "thumbs up". I really DO appreciate all the great feedback here. Only two things, though: One, according to the Woodpeck site, you need two of the bent wrenches for the collet? It's been a while since I've used it, but it seems to me that there's a spindle lock on the unit, right?

Secondly, and this is mainly for Mike S.: Yes, definitely remove the springs and I think you'll find any stiffness will go away. Mine wasn't in the PlungeLift, but it really made a difference even on a regular insert.

Thanks again for all your input! Man, this SMC is one GREAT place! :cool:

JayStPeter
11-18-2003, 8:39 AM
Yes, one wrench. The collet lock holds it while you use it. On woodshopdemos.com, John Lucas has a pretty slick way to lock the collet. I just take off the rings from the insert and stick my finger in there. Works for everything but panel raisers, then I have to stick my hand under the table and push it. No big deal either way.
Woodpeck didn't have bent wrenches when I got mine, so I got the wrench from Marc Sommerfeld. You can check his site, I believe it tells you the size of the wrench you need.

Jay