PDA

View Full Version : Latest built in project pics from a newbie

Karl Stewart
01-04-2007, 9:29 PM
Adding function to our home is job #1 (especially when space is limited). Our pantry is always full of odd things so I decided to build a can cabinet similar to a medicine cabinet only bigger. In place of the mirror I created a 'comm' center so LOML can remind me to pick up bread and milk. Funny, she hasn't asked me to pick up any 8/4 cherry yet.... Small dry erase board, calendar so I don't double book (bad habit I have) and cork board. Inside folders for file, shread, and of course coupons. All red oak and learned to use my biscuit joiner. Face frame is simple lap joint.
54291 54292

Above stairway is a half space which worked out well for a linen cabinet. I created my first raised panel using TS and cross cut sled, which turned out OK but pushed me further down that slope and purchased a tenon jig. All white oak panel. The glitches glare at me, but LOML was pleased.
54293 54294

Thanx to all as my knowledge has expanded greatly since finding SMC and reading much. Upcoming built ins....Kitchen hideaway knife cabinet and stairway book case.

I'll leave you with a little bit from Hank (my father the stone mason). You can decide for yourself whether it's wisdom or not.

'Why measure twice? Learn to score accurately and just cut it.'

Another favorite of his usually loudly asked, 'Karl have you got my (pretty much fill in the blank with any tool) ?

Von Bickley
01-04-2007, 9:37 PM
Karl,

Two projects "Well Done"... Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.:)

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 9:50 PM
I agree with Von...good projects and very nice space utilization in the process!

Karin Voorhis
01-05-2007, 6:01 AM
what a great job and very useful.... Everyone can use extra storage space you have don nice and clean with this!!!

John Schreiber
01-05-2007, 9:15 AM
Very nice. I'll have to show these to my wife. I'll bet I could justify some new tool purchases with those.

Are you satisfied with the euro style hinges? They sound like they really help make installation smoother, but I am not satisfied with the look.

Todd Burch
01-05-2007, 9:31 AM
Built-in storage is the best kind off storage. Your projects look great. You might could have (OK, I'm being nice - you SURELY could have) gotten by with a thinner shelf front on the second project. Why so thick?

Todd

Neil Lamens
01-05-2007, 9:44 AM
Way to think Karl.......Good thought process!!!!!

Karl Stewart
01-05-2007, 11:31 AM
The Eoro hinges were simple and the main reason for my choice as well as completely hidden. Being new and hinge so important I thought better safe than sorry.

The shelves aren't actually that thick. It's a 1x3 across the front, which matches another cabinet near the laundry. I could have went thinner and put four shelves but you never know what LOML might want to put in there. Three leaves a lot of room. As this home is not permanent, I seek ROI and 'whole home' design paramount.

Although I GREATLY admire the work everyone at SMC does, I know I am not yet at the level of expertise. I encourage more beginners to show simple ww projects they do. It's interesting, and we all start somewhere. I enjoy grilling and a good steak as many of you do too. I like a good tool/ knife to be handy. Good sheaths are impossible to find, so enter a hungry safety concious woodworker. I came up with a white oak cover that I slit, bore and embedd 3 rare earth magnets and reassemble. I score the front w/ TS for a little design drama and a story. The magnets will hold the weight of the knife and the sheath. The magnets also keep the edge away from the wood and therefore sharper longer.

Thanx all !

Karin Voorhis
01-07-2007, 6:49 PM
I really love this knife holder. you would not happen to have plans that could be shared for this would you??????????????

Billy Chambless
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Those are some nice, functional designs that show great forethought.

In fact, I like the knife holder so much I may have to steal the idea. ;)

Tom Fortier
01-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek fellow Sox fan.

Karl Stewart
01-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I'll post the [simple] plans tonight. I love all sports, but truthfully I am a Sox fan-in-law. Those tix in the photo are for my Father-in-law.

Karl

Karl Stewart
01-08-2007, 2:51 PM
I really love this knife holder. you would not happen to have plans that could be shared for this would you??????????????

Karin,
My first attempt at a plan. Hope it's legible. I can email a better scan if not. My father in law loves prime rib and he has a long carving knife [11"] so I made him a holder for that because we couldn't find one to cover it. 54678

Good luck,
Karl