PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Cutting Board Done!! 1st wwing project

Karin Voorhis
01-04-2007, 9:00 PM
ok thought I would show this off in a new thread to showof thefinished results.

Tonight I learned

1.how to use a planner. WHAT A GREAT TOOL!!! practice a junk board and now the board is no longer junk! Went slow and many passes went well. for a $200 craftsman planer I am impressed and very happy with the results.
2. How to use a router. Started with a 1/4" round adn thought it was not enough so went back over with a 1/2" round bit and liked it lots!. Thanks for all the help went smooth first shot!!!!! SMC IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!
3.I still do not like sanding and it took a long time! But theend results are great!!!!!

4. mineral oil keeps your hands nice after wood working. (used that to finish the project)

Here is pics of the finished board and the link to the begining of my first ever wood working. Besides some laser work on wood.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48841

I still have a long way to go but either this is great beginners luck or am ok at this wood working stuff!!!!

John Timberlake
01-04-2007, 9:05 PM
Great looking cutting board, first project or not. Isn't woodworking a wonderful hobby. You get to learn new things all the time. Keep it up.

David Kauffman
01-04-2007, 9:11 PM
Karin I am enjoying your enthusiasm as much as anything else. Keep up the good work.

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 9:22 PM
Excellent job, Karin!!!! I'm looking forward to your next projects!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 9:40 PM
Congrats Karin! You're hooked now! Beautiful cutting board!

Mike Armstrong
01-04-2007, 9:49 PM
Great looking work, Karin! You're off to a good start. A couple things to consider:

I agree that the photo showing you at the table saw doesn't look to me to be safest approach. Push sticks and such have been mentioned and remember that they can be "sacrificial" if necessary to make safe cuts. PM me if you'd like some examples/photos.

Think about grain direction when your gluing up the strips, if possible. This will make for cleaner passes through the planer. Remember direction of cutter rotation and think about the ol' concept of rubbing your hand with/against the cat's/dog's fur - you'll get similar results on the wood.

I don't know anyone who likes sanding, but if it took that long, you maybe working with too fine a grit. Coming off a planer, I'd expect to do very little sanding, probably with 220 (possibly some 180) to remove mill marks before applying an oil finish. I've done oil finishes on boards with 3 coats - #1 worked in w/ 220 wet/dry, #2 w/ 320, #3 w/ 400.

Have fun!

Mike

John Buzzurro
01-05-2007, 5:44 PM
Hi Karin,

I think you did a great job on the cutting board. I'm not sure whether you hand-sanded, but if you did, and you hate it that much, you might want to invest in a random orbital sander.

As others have stated, there are things you should do to make operation of your tools safer. Spend time learning how to work safely, and you'll be happy you did.

John

Karin Voorhis
01-07-2007, 6:46 PM
:D Thank you all!!! Yes to all on the safety issues I too am into safety even more so when it is mine. I do stand off to the side I made a v stick and will be getting the gripper after pay day next week for sure. Thank you all for sharing that tip looks great even watch a video....

in the summer months I am a MSF coach and do underst safety. plus I just do like the word ouch or call 911 or emergency room!!!!

Yes I am and I am so excited I just finised my second cutting board!!!