PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Help Needed

Pete Jordan
01-04-2007, 8:46 PM
I am halfway though my first hollow form and I realized I have nothing that will sand the inside. I am in the market for a sander so I am taking recommendations. I saw this one in the Wood Turning Design magazine: http://hooftrimmingtools.net/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=14

Thanks for your help!

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 8:52 PM
I never sand the inside of anything I can't get my hand through the hole. If the inside is visible and it bothers you, use a shear scraper on your hollowing system to clean things up. Only a turner will ever look "in there" critically, anyway! (Obviously, pieces with holes caused by inclusions are "sticker issues" with this situation.

Christopher Hunter
01-04-2007, 9:03 PM
I've only done a few forms myself, but I have had others tell me to use a doll rod with a pad and sandpaper attached to it....
personally I haven't tried that and I just leave it alone, but hey, it's all about preference...
--Chris

John Hart
01-04-2007, 9:40 PM
Yeah...I agree. Just scrape it smooth and call 'er done. Cool form you got going there Pete!!

Jim Ketron
01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Yep just get it the best you can!
Sometimes its hard to get a good finish inside a HF, use a scraper on your bar if that don't work use a collar. I have had a few pieces I have even painted the inside black.
A few here use the hemostats ( No Fingers In the Holes!)to sand the inside.

Keith Burns
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Pete, I use the bulb sander like is in that system. I either use it directly on my drill or use an extender bar. It works great as long as your opening is big enough.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Well Pete I will chime in also. Just shear scrape the inside the best you can and head on down the road.

Randy Privett
01-05-2007, 6:20 AM
Pete,
After you scrape the sides and your still not satisfied, you can put some small rocks in there, tape off the end and treat it like a tumbler. Run the lathe about 50 RPM so the rocks will fall and not stick to the sides. You would be suprised at the finish you can get.

Randy

Joash Boyton
01-05-2007, 8:51 AM
Jack Devos (http://jackdevos.com/sculptural.cgi/) uses this sanding mothod, he is my woodturning mentor, and lives near me. He uses this method, and so do I. He specializes in turning these (http://jackdevos.com/images/sculptural-31.jpg) types of Forms, and uses this method.

The way to sand the inside, with pieces like this, is to have a long dowel(for a handle), then put a small bolt through a small hole in one end, put a small sanding disk (around 1" wide will do) over the bolt on the other side of the dowel, and then bolt it on with a nut. Before you turn the lathe on, insert the end with the sanding disk as far into the form as you can go, and then turn the lathe on put it at a medium RPM (around 800-1000 will do) and slowly drag the sanding disk up the side of the wall as the form is circulating. Go through the neccesary grits, and then it is usually easiest to use an oil finish on the inside. I am usually able to start sanding at 180, and go through to 1500. Always aim at the best finish off of your tool.

This is the method I use, when I am turning a specialty piece.

Alex Cam
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Pete,

First, nice lathe. I turned on one at WoodCraft -- veeery nice.

Second, I have a question about your captive rig. I've seen pictures of Travis Stinson's also, and done a lot of reading on the Lyle Jamieson site. Is the tool holder at the end of the "h" handle something that has to be fabricated, or is it a stock part that you can find at a machine shop? Also, is the bar that's needed fairly standard? Would my local welding shop (that fixes my lawnmover and such..) have this in stock?

Sorry to hijack your thread!