PDA

View Full Version : Need tool opinion

Paul Greathouse
01-04-2007, 7:24 PM
We will be building a house for my oldest son in the next few months. I'm set pretty good for tools but theres one that I don't have yet. We will be hanging our own sheetrock, something I haven't done in a long time.

Which roto-zip type tool do you like? Obviously I will need it for electrical box cutouts in the sheetrock but I'm sure I will find other uses down the road. So, which one do you like and what are some the interesting uses you have found for it? I noticed that roto-zip has other attachments, are the attachments really useful or are they just gimmicks? I don't recall seeing many attachments for comparable tools from other manufacturers.

Garay Holland
01-04-2007, 7:34 PM
Paul,
I have the DeWalt version and have been using it for about a year. All of our work has been in cutting box holes in Durock (1/2" cement backer board) using a 1/8" carbide cutter. It has held up great and we have been very happy with it.
Garay

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 7:59 PM
I never bought a rotozip type tool for doing drywall. A simple drywall keyhole saw and a circle cutter jig have always worked great for me...along with careful measuring...

JayStPeter
01-04-2007, 8:22 PM
Drywallers that just left used the DW.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a Dewalt.

It shone whern I was carving heavily veined marble but for sheetrock I used it about three times and went back to the old school sheetrock saw. Fast accurate and dustless
The dewalt was a dust monster.

And I despise sheetrock dust. I hate it.

If they had made it so it didn't blow the dust around I'd probably like it but it's so bad you need to be in a P4 Bio contaminate sute.

Jim Rokusek
01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I used the Craftsman version. I liked it until I was using it as a die grinder and the bit got stuck and bent the motor shaft. Whoops.

Just like Cliff said, fast but lots of dust.

Neil Clemmons
01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I looked at them but ended up buying a Porter Cable laminate trimmer and just using the Rotozip type bits. Works well and I ended up with a more versatile tool.

Neil

Luciano Burtini
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
I never bought a rotozip type tool for doing drywall. A simple drywall keyhole saw and a circle cutter jig have always worked great for me...along with careful measuring...

....and this way you will get nice neat edges and cutouts for the electrical boxes that fit. Don't always have to follow the lead of the pro's who are more interested in speed than quality. You simply cannot beat a sharp knife and a keyhole saw for quality of fit ...assuming of course you follow Jim's last piece of advice as well - measure carefully.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Must haves for drywall:

Panel lift if you are doing ceilings (rent)

Rotozip type toolfor "ziping" around the boxes. I like the light original rotozip but that is all I have used.

Collated drywall screw gun. I bought the Senco Duraspin battery opperated (w/2batts) and was the single biggest time saver I used!

The number of a good drywall contractor to do the mudding!!

Mac

Ed Labadie
01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Paul, I have the Porter Cable cutout tool, very happy with it. It's the only way to go for doing drywall work.
I've never used the DeWalt, but the PC doesn't blow the dust all over the room.
There is some dust, some of it will stay in the cut. Just have someone stand there with the shopvac hose & catch the dust before it even hits the floor.
They are also a great tool for door openings & around windows. Overhang the drywall into the opening & flush trim after its' fastened.

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2863

Ed

Larry Fox
01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Straight cut-and-paste from earlier thread talking about RZ20.

---
I have one of the earlier rotoZip's that was given to me as a gift. I use it mostly for drywallwork - cutting around outlets and such. For that it is absolutely awesome. I take rough measurements to the center of a box, slap a whole sheet up on the wall, put a few screws to hold, stab the rotozip in and work it around the box as fast as you can move it and voila - you are done and can continue securing the sheet. Great little tool.

------------------------
However, as other posters have pointed out - they are dust monsters. However, for what it sounds like you will be using it for (rock in a house being built) that will likely not be an issue.

Ed Blough
01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Stay clear of the craftsman. I was given one for a present. I used it to do the dry wall in the master bath. The way it is built it sucks dust from the cutter through the machine. Before long the switch on the back was so bound I had to stop and dissassemble it to get it working. Then the thing started running hot so I had to stop again and clean it out. So in the process of cutting boxes and openings in just the master bath I had to disassemble and clean the machine twice.
I finished with a hole saw.

James Reichman
01-05-2007, 1:19 PM
I remodeled my own house. Did all the sheetrock myself. The Senco Duraspin was the best investment. I cannot tell you how much time this gun saved me and the job was much easier! I also bought the roto-zip. for highthats it was great. For outlet boxes NO WAY. The keyhole saw is the way to go.

Frank Snyder
01-05-2007, 2:49 PM
I'm sure this is common knowledge, but you'll want to use the metal boxes and mudrings if you plan on using a rotary cutout tool. If you use the plastic boxes, it's really, really easy for the bit (with guide bearing) to cut right through the plastic and ruin your work. Just an FYI...

Aaron Black
01-05-2007, 3:24 PM
Ive used alot of the cutters with the rotozip being my favorite. I do mostly remodel and have built only 12 houses the dewalt didnt have all the options and didnt last. The rotozip has lasted more than four seasons. The kit it can come with is a ok option ive used it quite alot mostly the grinder for sanding and dare i say it speed coping. The keyhole saw and knife are great but times have changed all your edges are covered either by trim or outlet covers. These things are great for window and door openings so you can just hang your sheetrock whole room then go back cut out window door outlets. but the absolute best tool you could by is the senco duraspin sheetrock gun. best of luck aaron

John Terefenko
01-05-2007, 5:39 PM
Boy how I hate reading this. I am an electrician and have seen these idiot type tools used to cut electrical outlets out many times on job sites and it is inevitable that they do more damage to wires in the box that can be imagined. If you are going to use this to cut boxes out that have wires in them please check the wires after you are done. What can happen is the wire can get nicked and not short out right away but constant movement of pulling plugs in and out can short it out. It also can now make that wire which is a #12 and has a good sized load on it now becomes a equivalent to a #14 because of the nick and has the same good load on it. Now the wire becomes heated and may cause a fire because of overload. Don't say it can't happen I have seen it. Now if you want to cut window openings or door openings go ahead and cut all you want but please cut outlets out with a saw or knife.

Paul Greathouse
01-05-2007, 8:47 PM
Thanks for all the great information. I was wondering about how the cutter would affect the plastic boxes. Thanks Frank. We will probably use metal boxes, the extra cost is not that prohibitive on a smaller house like we will be building (1800sqft).

I hadn't even thought about the senco duraspin. Will have to get one. All my finish guns, staple guns and one of my framers are Senco. Great stuff. Back when I used to hang sheetrock now and then, mostly on remodels and additions, I used a corded drywall gun but I can see where the duraspin would be faster.

I had a pretty good feeling about the Rotozip because they are owned by Bosch now. I also have alot of Dewalt and Porter Cable tools too so I can see those three all being good quality. ED, thanks for the tip about the PC not blowing alot of dust, will have to seriously consider it.

John, we will be doing our own wiring, so we will be extra careful not to damage wires. Will probably use some of the extra deep boxes, so we can push the wire back as far as possible and then set the bit as shallow as possible. I'm very skilled at the use of the drywall saw and razor knife, if I have to fall back to it, but I want to give the new faster method a try. I'm way too particular to continue using it, if its not doing a good job though.

Mac, we will definately be renting a drywall jack. Have used them before and they sure are a back saver.

We just finished what hopefully will be our last visit with the draftsman that our Engineer uses so we should have the plans in hand soon. We have all kinds of new windloading requirements down here now since hurrican Rita came through last year. The way the Engineer is going into overkill mode on this project, it will probably withstand a direct hit from a nuclear warhead.

nic obie
01-05-2007, 9:10 PM

A dremel type tool with a cheap spiral bit will probably work better than the above and would be cheaper too.