PDA

View Full Version : celebrity woodworkers...

chris fox
01-04-2007, 4:23 PM
My wife and I were having a interesting conversation about celebrities that hobby in WW'ing. I told her I would research and see if anything interesting popped up. The only person I knew close to a celebrity that did WW'ing was Troy Polaumo(sp) cornerback for the Steelers. The Samoan with the long hair!

I have no interest in finding if Paris Hilton is a wood turner, but I would be interested if say Harrison Ford enjoyed woodworking.

Any input??

Chris

Martin Shupe
01-04-2007, 4:39 PM
Harrison Ford was a carpenter before he started making movies.

Andy Rooney is a woodworker.

William H. Macy turns, saw him give a bowl to Leno once.

Jim Rabon
01-04-2007, 4:42 PM
I understand Harrison Ford did some carpentry before he became famous; Jimmy Carter has had items in FWW mag.

James E Clark
01-04-2007, 6:20 PM
I heard once there was this fellow that did a few projects on PBS.
HaHaHaHa ok,ok not a good answer but I just slay me sometimes.
Jim C

Doug Shepard
01-04-2007, 6:51 PM
Jimmy Carter.

John Shuk
01-04-2007, 7:55 PM
There is a pretty big country singer who was on Celebrity Hobbies. Don't know his name but he had a shop full of Grizzly tools.

Curt Harms
01-05-2007, 8:24 AM
I don't know about woodworking per se, but I read that she's a DIYer. I'd like to work with her:D

Mark Singer
01-05-2007, 9:25 AM
Actor Gerge Montgomery made most of the furniture in his home here in So. CA.

George Montgomery, 1916- 2000
George Montgomery, an actor whose 87 feature films overshadowed his accomplishments as an architect, sculptor, writer, and furniture designer, died at his Rancho Mirage home on December 12th, 2000. A close

Andy Rooney of 60 minutes made the desk that he sits at and is a great woodworker

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011146086.pdf

Kevin Costner, was a framing carpenter and worked on some of my homes in the 70's here in Laguna and Coto de Caza. Then my friend and fellow Architect , John Mc Ginnis designed Kevin's home ...funny how things change if you become a succsessful actor:rolleyes:

Art Mulder
01-05-2007, 9:33 AM
Andy Rooney of 60 minutes made the desk that he sits at and is a great woodworker

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011146086.pdf

That link is for FWW members only.

Re: Jimmy Carter. I recall reading a story that went something like this: When he was leaving the presidency, his colleagues got together to buy him a present and were planning to get him a Jeep. He found this a bit impractical and instead got a shop full of woodworking tools.

...art

Mark Patoka
01-05-2007, 10:19 AM
William H. Macy turns, saw him give a bowl to Leno once.

There is an article on William H. Macy and his woodturning in the Sept 2003 issue of WOOD.

Mark Singer
01-07-2007, 9:34 AM
I must have been wrong ....Pamela is not a woodworker:confused:
I did see my neighbor Heather Locklear working on her fence with a hammer...:rolleyes:

Heather Locklear - Heather lives with her husband Richie Sambora, lead guitarist with the rock group Bon Jovi and their adorable little girl in their beautiful Laguna Beach home. Both of them are avid fans of the history and architecture of Laguna Beach and take great pride in the maintenance and restoration efforts of their home.

Well there is proof she is involved with her home and a little woodworking although she is no longer with Richie.....it as they say, "Old News"
http://www.ocfindit.com/neighbors/heatherlocklear.jpg

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Dom Deluise is a big time woodworker; and has a great shop in southern Vermont.

Michael Gibbons
01-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey, how about that guy David Marks?. I heard he pretty good.:rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
01-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Mark Harmon is a real time wood chucker.
Johnny Carson claimed to make things with a Shop Smith

Anthony Welch
01-08-2007, 9:39 AM
In a magazine somewhere in the house or shop there is an article about William H. Macy, who, while making the movie "Fargo" learned to turn bowls and stuff on a lathe.

Jim Becker
01-08-2007, 9:50 AM
In a magazine somewhere in the house or shop there is an article about William H. Macy, who, while making the movie "Fargo" learned to turn bowls and stuff on a lathe.

The article was in WOOD Magazine and pictured Phil Brennion giving Mr. Macy some pointers about turning Ponderosa Pine.

Mark Singer
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Brad Pitt's father was a woodworker and named his son after a Brad Point Bit making a contraction of Point and and Bit..."Pitt" this is a strange but fictionally corrected story for your reading pleasure:rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
01-11-2007, 1:12 PM
Brad Pitt's father was a woodworker and named his son after a Brad Point Bit making a contraction of Point and and Bit..."Pitt" this is a strange but fictionally corrected story for your reading pleasure:rolleyes:
Too much California Sun:confused: :cool: :D

Mark Singer
01-11-2007, 3:20 PM
Too much California Sun:confused: :cool: :D

Tyler...just let me have a little fun....this woodworking is driving me nuts:eek:

Michael Gibbons
01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Mark Singer, Heather Locklear is your neighbor??? Your a lucky man!!!

Mark Singer
01-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Mark Singer, Heather Locklear is your neighbor??? Your a lucky man!!!

She is in her bikini(too cold) right now fixing her garage door....excuse me..I think she needs help:rolleyes:

Matt Kollar
01-17-2007, 7:40 PM
Wood Magazine (latest issue) mentions that golfing great Byron Nelson was an avid woodworker.

Steve Wargo
01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Heather Locklear is your neighbor??? Did you mention something about needing an aprentice?

Mark Singer
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Heather Locklear is your neighbor??? Did you mention something about needing an aprentice?
This helping the neighbors is slowing down my woodworking....I have to work on my own projects not her door:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Mark.....I hear those California wines are pretty good....:p

Mark Singer
01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Mark.....I hear those California wines are pretty good....:p

I am not drinking tonight:rolleyes: I only had one Bohemia with my carnitas....very nice!

chris fox
01-20-2007, 1:36 AM
speaking of Mark Singer, I was flipping through a couple of last years issues of Western Interiors magazine, and wow a 5 page spread on our very own Mark Singer! I think it was the June/July issue of 2006?
Mark, it looks like the article was emphasising your Laguna home. A few comments about your furniture design and workmanship. The angle on one of the pics didnt showcase your sofa design but a good shot of the walnut lamp(the base reminds me of Eero Saarinen's tulip side table).
Very nice home and very good taste in my book.

I didnt see any pics of Heather in her bathing suit though:D

Mark Singer
01-20-2007, 4:05 AM
Chris...Heather was working on Garage door again and missed the shoot:rolleyes:
"Shoot!":rolleyes: